Athlons and such.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlons and such.

Does anyone have, or know someone who has, and Athlon computer yet. I am very curious as to what they think of it. Especially if they have a G400 in it

Jammrock

------------------
    My computer can play all of my games well...except TA: Kingdoms, which I think you need a Kray to play.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I was looking at the Athlons on pricewatch and nearly all the places said that they would have them in on september 9th, much like the G400MAX . The biggest problem with the Athlon is the Mobo prices are roughly double what a intel BX board goes for, even though the chip prices are competiave with the P3 at similar clock speeds. If i ever do get a Athlon I'm waiting for ASUS to come out with a board since I've heard alot of horror stories with other manucatures making the socket 7 boards.

Scott

------------------
    Celeron300A@464, Marvel G200, V2 SLI, 128MB RAM, 19inch Optiquest Monitor, SB live!
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Of course the other problem is that already Athlon motherboard makers are releasing information that it "has problems with the AGP interface for certain cards including the G100, G200, G400 from Matrox".

Uh-oh. Sounds like SS7 ALL OVER AGAIN.

Sheesh.

- Gurm

------------------
      G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
      The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

The 'problem' is more like physically damaging both the card and mobo. Also some banshee (AARRGGHH!!) cards are affected.

As for the pricing, I can get the Gigabyte Athlon board for only a little over half decent BX boards. Also, the CPUs are a cheaper than their PIII counterparts.

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

Comment

ohhhh!
          I'm getting a headache just thinking about it
          jim

------------------
          p2-350 (o.c'd to 450) 128mb pc-100, Mill. G200 8mb sgram (o.c'd to 210 with MGATweak) PD5.21, win98se, DX6.1, THREE BIG FANS (and three little ones)
          System 1:
          AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
          Epox 8K7A
          2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
          an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
          SBLIVE 5.1
          Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
          IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
          Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
          3Com Hardware Modem
          Teac 20/10/40 burner
          Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Hopefully VIA's new chipset will fix most of these little bugs. Suppoedly the VIA chipset is rock solid. We'll see

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The price of an ATHLON chip is not cheaper than Intel at same speed.

[This message has been edited by LAMFDTK (edited 09-03-1999).]

Comment

Ask Jacco... his sig says he's got am Athlon 500, so I guess he does

He's somewhere on these fori, just do a search on him...

Jorden.

------------------
                Nothing in this message has been Copyright 1999, motub™. All rights, lefts, ups and downs reserved. Names, characters, places and incidents are products of the author's imagination or are used fictiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.
                ------------
                Jorden's love for Holly is to be excluded from the above restrictions.
                ------------
                Holly, Love and Tiberian Sun Reigns !!
                ------------

-I want my 1120 posts back-

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                X