5.21, vsynch hacks, and your Registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.21, vsynch hacks, and your Registry

With the release of the 5.21 drivers, Matrox fixed the issue of vsynch in their OpenGL ICD. With previous versions of the drivers, vsynch was always disabled. There has been a registry hack available to enable/disable vsynch for some time, but it had no affect on OGL, only D3D. Now, with 5.21, this hack will enable/disable vsynch for both D3D and OGL.

<A HREF="http://www.murc.ws/Utils/PD5RegHAcks.zip" target=_new>Registry Hacks</A>

One critical thing about these hacks that is often overlooked (and it is very, very easy to overlook), is that it depends on this hack being applied to the correct registry key. By design, the vsynch reg hack goes to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Class\Display\0000\

Many people are finding that the registry hack is not having any affect on their performance. In many of these cases, that is because the registry key is incorrect. Often there are remnants of old drivers occupying the \0000 key, and the Matrox driver settings are residing in \0001 or \0002 (or whatever). Even running the Matrox uninstaller does not guarantee that all \000* will be cleared. Other video cards also use these keys, and the uninstaller does not always clear them all out.

So, there are two options.
    The preferable option is to uninstall the drivers, boot into safe mode, edit the registry, and manually remove all \000* keys that remain in that section. Then re-install the drivers, and they will go to \0000, and the reg hacks (and other misc. utils that look for \0000) will work properly.

The quicker option is to determine which key the Matrox drivers are actually using (the highest number), and edit the registry hacks to apply to the appropriate key. This will not get other things like MGATweak though...

I guess the third option would be format c:, but I hate that, and would never want to suggest it over video drivers

Hope this helps get some of your speeds back up where you want them.

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 09-03-1999).]
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Kruz...
    I followed you instructions exactly and still get a very small performance boost in 3dMark Max. My registery only had the ./0000/ entry and I used the reg hack with vsync on and off - the scores are nearly identical. And these scores are very close to the scores I got with the 5.13 drivers?!?!? What gives dude!?!?!

Details: 3DMark Max at 800x600:
    celeron @ 457 Mhz (83x5.5), 128 Meg ram, BX6R2 Motherboard. G400 Dual head.

5.13 Drivers: 3693 Benchmarks
    5.21 Drivers: 3744 Benchmarks
    5.21 Drivers(Vsync off): 3714 benchmarks

Am I missing something???

Comment

Disabling vsynch will not affect 3dMARK99max very much. It's D3D, which doesn't seem to be affected as greatly by this hack as OGL apps(such as Q2).

And you are showing some improvement there with the driver upgrade....nothing spectacular, but nothing to complain about, since they never claimed anything about D3D performance with these drivers...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I knew that....

Comment

Kruz-
          I am trying it out with q3 timedemo. I think my sound is effecting the numbers. Do you know how to turn the sound off.

BTW-I was being sarcastic in the last message. I'm actually a dumb ass and didn't know that. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Sorry-
            No Q3 here. I burned out on that in the first version, and have no idea about it's config.

I'll get back into that when it's a real game

Comment

Dude,

At the control panel command prompt:

s_initsound 0
              snd restart

Same as Quake2.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Sorry, there is a typo in my last post. The commands are:

s_initsound 0
                snd_restart