PD5.21 OpenGL Vsync is Enabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD5.21 OpenGL Vsync is Enabled

Why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that the drivers are slower? If you actually played Q2 instead of just benchmarking it, you'll notice that the tearing is gone (i.e. Vsync has been fixed).
    Q3Test numbers are ~same as before, except now Vsync is Enabled. Would be interesting if someone from Matrox can post the registry entry that would disable Vsync so the performance can be compared to the last set of drivers.
    I guess now we know why nVidia ALWAYS ship drivers with Vsync disabled :-) Can you imagine the postings in the nVidia group ;-)

Try this: in GL, especially Q3, you can use r_swapinterval 1 for on and r_swapinterval 0 for off

Comment

Hi Ant

In Q3test 1.06 r_swapinterval is 0 and its just the same.

In Q2 r_swapinterval doesn´t work. (unknow command)

When you bench those beta drivers, was with Vsynch on or off?

Tirtanium 1.2 gives this info about OpenGl with drivers 5.21

GL_VENDOR: Matrox Graphics Inc. GL_RENDERER:Matrox G400
      SWAP3DBuffer test result 13333.33 Hz
      TIRTANIUM 1.2 COMPUTER CM WIN9X build:1998
      GLvendor:Matrox Graphics Inc. GLrenderer:Matrox G400 VSync OFF DDMSwich OFF

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 09-02-1999).]

Comment

I should follow my own advice a little...:-)
        In Q3Test, setting Vsync in the game does do something. There is shearing with it OFF. No shearing in Quake2 with 'in-game' Vsync off thou....wierd.

Comment

I'd love to say I was playing Q3 but at 800x600 it is now totally unplayable online. My screen is so jumpy it's unbelievable. I disabled vsync and everything. This is on a PIII 500! I decided I better run a few benchmarks and I lost more than 10fps!

I bet Matrox didn't include the right OpenGl. We'll find out when one of them arrives in the office tomorrow to see a stack of e-mails from angry users and a message board filled with problems.

Comment

The command to disable vsync in Q2 is gl_swapinterval 0 (I think). The funny thing is setting vsync through the menu doesn't seem to affect this variable. Anyway, none of the settings I've tried made a difference to the scores. I seem to be one of the luckier ones anyway, I didn't lose any perfomance, and Q3 seemed to get a little smoother. Still, this is a big disappointment after all the waiting and the hype, I really hope that Matrox will fix the screw up, if there is one. At the very least they owe us an explanation. Supposedly some bugs have been fixed but the intermittant stuttering problem with HG2 hasn't gone away. So really, nothing has changed with these new drivers.

System Specs: Dell PII-400, 128mb RAM, Matrox G400 32mb SH OEM, Win 98, Driver Ver 5.21

Comment

Working...
            X