30% Performance DIVE with 5.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30% Performance DIVE with 5.21

I was expecting around a 25% performance boost and I lost around 10 fps on Quake II.
    WTF? Did someone release the wrong driver?
    It does look better though.

Did you use the uninstaller or just upgrade? I have had similar problems when upgrading beta versions but doing a thorough uninstall fixed things.

Comment

What do you mean it fixed things?

Are they faster, more stable, please explain, because they have caused me nothing but trouble where the v5.15 was ok.

Grrrr.

------------------
      Regards,
      [URL]http://www.3dgameman.com{/URL]
      Regards,
      http://www.3dgameman.com
      PIII 558 (PIII 450 with case open and extra fans), G400 Max, Abit BH6, 128MB (LGS PC100), 2 Network Cards (one is ISA and the other is PCI), SBLiveValue, 21" Viewsonic P815-3, 15" Samsung, 9G WD (ATA66 at 33!), 6G Quantum (ATA33), 7100i CD-RW, 32x CDR, 3G Tape Backup, 2 External Modems, WebCam, OptiPro Scanner, Win98SE, for audio I have 2 amps powering 5 speakers (2 are infinity, 2 are JBL and I have a 12" O2 sub)

Comment

As I said when upgrading beta versions I had seen dips in porformance when an increase was expected. Performing a full uninstall then installing the new version fixed things ie an increase in speed was observed.

Comment

Cripes, maybe at some point they'll think to include a proper uninstaller WITH the drivers.

------------------
          The lack of content in this sig will be addressed in Sig 5.22
          Games Box
          --------------
          Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
          ------
          Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
          -------------
          Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Well they did have an uninstaller with PD 4.x, they removed it in 5.x to conform to new driver guidelines laid down by M$.

Comment

The Q2 numbers are lower because Vsync is Enabled. Anyone know the registry entry to disable it?

Comment

I used the matrox unninstalled to wipe our 5.13. I am not getting a performance decrease, but the results aren´t brilliant thought. More or less the same.

I think Vsynch can be disabled in both q2 and q3 by turning "sync every frame" in video options to "no". Correct me if I´m wrong.

Comment

Vsync in Q2 and Vsync for the OpenGL drivers are different things.

Comment

Well, I ran the Q2 crusher demo with "synch every frame" on and off and got the same framerate with both settings - 20.5 fps (non OC). I'm not sure whether that switch actually works or not. I'd like to try a reg hack if I can find one.

Manex
                    ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

Comment

Try this: in GL, especially Q3, you can use r_swapinterval 1 for on and r_swapinterval 0 for off

Comment

I have an idea whats going on with everyone whining that they got slower with the new drivers... the G400 Tweak "D3D Vsync" option *does* effect Quake2 and other OpenGL games, at least on my machine, and it makes a *big* difference.

Smiff

Comment

Well, 5.21 doesn't fix anything for me. I'm not "frames per second" junky, so that doesn't bother me. However, the Re-Volt demo still freezes, and expendable still wont launch (even after a format and reinstall of win98se). Crap.

------------------
                          Andrew Gallagher - andrew@agallagher.com
                          Asus P2B-S (1010), PII-350 (3.5x100MHz), 64MB PC100, 12.7GB Quantum Fireball EX ATA-33, 2x2.1GB Quantum Atlas I UWSCSI, Toshiba 6201 SCSI CD, Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD-RW, WangDAT SCSI, MillG400 32MB DH w/ 5ns RAM(5.13 Divers/1.5 Bios/300MHz SCLK), SBLive! Retail (LiveWare2.1), JVC RX884V Dolby Digital Receiver@500W, Dell 17" (first head), ProScan 27" NTSC TV (second head), Win98SE, BeOS 4.5.1, RedHat 6.0, NT4SP5
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Yes I did indeed use the un installer, I used it an uninstalled the drivers, and installed the new ones, I did this three times, I did a setup installation and then I did a manual installation of the drivers twice, made no difference. Disabling the vsync gives a 2 fps frame boost. Am I missing something? What type of boost did you get Ant?

Celery 400
                            Abit BH6
                            128MB ECC PC100
                            sblive value
                            scsi
                            g400 oem sh 16 mb

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comment

Working...
                            X