Replacing a Matrox G400 MAX fan and heatsink <<<<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a Matrox G400 MAX fan and heatsink <<<<

Yep, I'm at it again! I wondered since the retail fan and heatsink are so small would I be able to get any better performance out of the card. Well, here goes...

Check it out at www.3dgameman.com

Regards,
    www.3dgameman.com

Your brave, I wouldn't trust rubberbands to hold a heatsink on for very long. You could put a small drop of superglue on each corner for a more permanent means to hold it on.

I thought that the heatsink and Fan on the G400 MAX looked too small but it seems to do a fair job of keeping the processor cool.
    It would be interesting to see what the TennMax Lasagna or the Global Win FA420 would do for the MAX. Also just replacing the epoxy with good thermal grease on the original Heatsink and fan may make a difference.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

ALBPM - 3DGameman says the heatsink is held on with double-sided thermal tape.

Comment

Looks like epoxy on mine and that's confirmed by Matrox. It's Omegabond 200 Catalog #0B-200-2. They use the same epoxy on both the Vanilla and the MAX. It comes off easier if you put the card in the freezer for a bit and make the epoxy brittle.

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 08-26-1999).]
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Lapping would increase the contact surface.

Would it do any good?
          It did on my old TNT last year but you have to be really careful not to damage the card.

I don't think I would (myself) try it on a $240+ card, TNT was only $99.

Derek

------------------
          Intel P2-400@448 (112), Asus P2B (1008), G400 SH 32meg OEM, 128 cas 3 PC100, WD 6.4HD, Sb Live value, KDS AV7T, Memorex 48x, Iomega Int. Zip, USR 56k V90, Yamaha YST-M15, Teac 3.5.

Comment

to the new forum

Comment

Working...
            X