G200 screen corruption w/5.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 screen corruption w/5.13

After many months of problem-free G200 use with the original BIOS and all driver updates, I flashed the BIOS using the 1.04 Unified, ran the Uninstall utility, and installed the 5.13 drivers via the Win setup.

Now I'm getting random corruption of Win 98 icons and bolded/highlighted text in Netscape 4.61. I uninstalled and reinstalled the 5.13 drivers, and the problem remains. I thought I'd ask for advice before messing around with the BIOS. Any ideas?

Jim K.

I can't offer any advice, but I can say that I found the same thing, even after a format I get the same problem, 16bit colour seems to solve the problem in some cases, 24 and 32bit were rooted.
    Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

What are your system specs?

------------------
      Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+ 1.2a,64mb Mushkin Samsung GHcas2,Maxtor 8.4gb,G200 Mill.8mb Sgram,Yamaha sound
      Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound

Comment

Now, <u>that's</u> interesting, Greebe... my only (minor) problem is that sometimes, seemingly for no reason, my monitor will turn off and not wake up... I thought I turned off all the PM settings, but maybe I'll check again..

Also, jkauff, it sounds weird, but I noticed that you mentioned that you saw the problem in NS 4.61. I've had corruption there, too (fonts spontaneously gibberish, etc)... but just there-- not, say, in Word. I wonder if the increased security protocols in NS 4.61 don't agree with the G200 in some way... I said it would sound weird...

------------------
        the once and future motub

"...\Till the one day when the lady met this fellow\ And they knew that it was much more than a hunch.." What? System specs? Oh, yes, right...Soyo 5EMA, K6-2 333, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, Maxtor 7GB HDD, LS-120, Promise Ultra33 EIDE controller, Diamond Monster Sound MX300, HP 8100i CD-RW, Hi-Val (Nakamichi) 16X 5-disk CD changer, Win98 +SR1...oh yeah, and a Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM.

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 08-30-1999).]

Comment

I'm disappointed that there's no solution, but at least it's not a unique problem on my end.

This machine is pretty generic hw: Asus P2L97 with P2-266, not OC/d, running original Win 98 with the downloadable MS SE updates.

Thanks, Greebe, for the power management clue. I'll play around with my settings to see if that helps.

Jim K.

Comment

I have consequent lockups when I run at resolutions higher then 1078x768.
            The lockups occur with the Seti@home applications, at the moment the calculation is stopped, when Unreal starts (though it runs at 640x480) or running any Organic Art screensaver.

It have the impression that the PD 5.13 software reaches some critical limit when the demand for throughput, which value probably depends on a combination of resolution, color depth, refresh frequency and AGP1 or AGP2, reaches a certain value.
            Then the instabilities occur.

You could easily check that if you lower any of the forementioned parameters.
            For me it worked to go back to 1024x768x32bits at 100hz.
            1200x1024x32bits at 85hz was a definite nono.

Regards,
            LiLong

Comment

I think it is PD5.13. I went back to 4.51 and and I have no problems so far.

Comment

I too had problems (as I posted on the powerdesk forum) with 5.13. My screensaver would lock up, even the screen saver tab in the powerdesk would lock the system up. NEver figured out what the problem was, but I think I updated the biod prior to these problems as well. I am back at 4.33 for now... unfortunately no opengl...

Comment

Have you tried reformatting and doing a clean
                  install of Win98?I too use NS4.61 although
                  your system is different I have no probs
                  with NS.Usually a clean install works,maybe
                  not in your case,but it's worth a try.
                  Good Luck

<marquee behavior="slide" loop="1" marquee align="bottom" bgcolor="white"
                  <font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Comic Sans MS"><em><strong>sixpac</strong></em></font></marquee>

------------------
                  Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+ 1.2a,64mb Mushkin Samsung GHcas2,Maxtor 8.4gb,G200 Mill.8mb Sgram,Yamaha sound
                  Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound

Comment

I haven't done a format and clean re-install of Win 98, and I won't. If a graphics card in a vanilla system can't survive a supposedly well-tested BIOS and driver update, I'd rather pull the card and replace it.

I don't mind a few driver-related artifacts if they're acknowledged (or at least reproduceable) bugs that I can expect to be fixed in the next release. I'm not going to accept a solution that requires a re-format and re-install unless I'm sure that my system config is the problem.

Comment

to the new forum

Comment

Working...
                      X