Whaddaya know, I have a Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whaddaya know, I have a Max

I was just, on a whim, installing a fan on my g400. I guess I didn't really look at it before I threw it in my case (I was pretty excited you know), because BAM, staring me right in the face, was a little white fan connector and memory chips with little "-5"'s on them.

Overclockin' I will go...

I'll report back on my results.

--
    Andrew
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Whoa.. lucky, lucky. Yours isn't the first reported here. I wonder how many of these stealth MAXes there really are? Perhaps several that just barely failed the test?

Still waiting for my MAX

Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Update. I've just been playing midtown madness for 2 hours with my SCLK at 300MHz (150 GCLK/200 MCLK) with not a single hiccup. I guess it should've been a max after all I'm glad now that I cancelled my max order and went for the vanilla.

Now, if only I could run expendable. It still just crashes immediately to the desktop within 5 seconds of launching. Oh well, it's not really my kind of game anyway.

------------------
      Andrew Gallagher - andrew@agallagher.com
      Asus P2B-S (1010), PII-350 (3.5x100MHz), 64MB PC100, 12.7GB Quantum Fireball EX ATA-33, 2x2.1GB Quantum Atlas I UWSCSI, Toshiba 6201 SCSI CD, Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD-RW, WangDAT SCSI, MillG400 32MB DH w/ 5ns RAM(5.13 Divers/1.5 Bios/300MHz SCLK), SBLive! Retail (LiveWare2.1), JVC RX884V Dolby Digital Receiver@500W, Dell 17" (first head), ProScan 27" NTSC TV (second head), Win98SE, BeOS 4.5.1, RedHat 6.0, NT4SP5
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Does anyone know if you can O/C the RAMDAC? Or is Andrew still stuck at 300mhz?

Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

agallag: i had the same thing with expendable, just play with the graphics options and choose a lower res/bit depth. Voila! It works

Why would you want to o/c the RAMDAC? 300Mhz is bloody good already!

Smiff

[This message has been edited by Smiff. (edited 08-29-1999).]

Comment

The RAMDAC can't be changed.

At least not till someone comes up with a way to hack the BIOS like we did on the G200s.

Where has GBM been latly, anyway??? He's the BIOS hacker we need...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

agallag: Try clocking it higher. My vannilla 32 Mb -6 ns does 150/200 too (153/204 without screen corruption), so thats not exceptional for a 5ns memory board. Go for it.

Comment

I don't think I need a faster ramdac to run at 1024x768x75Hz (crappy monitor).

I'll try expendable at a lower res tonight, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Hey, another person who can run his G400 at MAX speed without problems. Do you have a fan attached? Mine runs stable at that clockspeed without using a fan. At 160/200 it crashes when 3D is used. Could a fan help in that instance?

Frank Schoondermark

Comment

Franksh3, a fan might help, but it's not likely.

Nuno, I don't think going any higher will help much, considering I've got a major processor (350 MHz) and memory (64MB, major swapfile activity) bottleneck now

Comment

For Expendable I would first check the
                      sound settings. There does not seem to
                      be any auto-detect in this game...

M.
                      year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

I've already tried it with sound disabled. Still no go.

Comment

agallag: It was just for the fun of seeing how far it would go...

Comment

Ok nuno, I'll see how far I can push it

Comment

to the new forum

Comment

Working...
                              X