Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAXes are on shelves!!!

Hey fellas,

you wouldn't believe it! All the big retailers don't have it and some small computer store in Toronto has tons of them! And cheap! I got mine _off the shelf_ today for 335CAN$! Dig that!

Anyway, the link is http://www.pccanada.com

Run fast before they run out...

Michael who is looking at the MAX on his table backing up his Win2k system for 4 hours now (it's 12GB NTFS5 partition - if only there were drivers for Win2k the life would be perfect!!!

------------------
    P2c-300a/450, 192MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Creative Labs AWE64 Gold Sound Blaster, A-Trend Voodoo II 12MB, Matrox Millennium II 4MB (to be replaced with G400Max), 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752 and some other fancy stuff
    P2c-300a/450, 256MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

the reason u have it in canada is because thats where matrox is located.

Comment

by the way how do u like your hard drive? the quantum, im thinking of getting the 13.6 one, i heard its loud tho, is that true?

Comment

First of all, US are usually the first to get Matrox products... Matrox is known to neglect Canadian customers when it comes to choosing between US and the homeland - understandable too...

in any case, this store simply preordered at the right time... and not too much - so Matrox sent them some... (just what I assumed)

In any case, there are tons of other retail stores in Toronto and NONE has even a single MAX. So it's not because it's in Canada...

As to the Hard drive... it's the best UDMA drive in its capacity range. Nothing is faster. It's not noisy at all, and doesn't generate much heat (I do have active cooling in my full tower though). I'm extremely pleased with it, cause the system runs much faster than with my previous Quantum Fireball ST 4.3GB. The outer track speeds are ~20+MB/s which is very helpful for swap files... and CDRs

Michael
        P2c-300a/450, 256MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

Comment

i heard wd expert and ibm is faster but its too expensive so thats why im getting the quantum hehe

Comment

Well mail order wise, PC Connection is still without. They had been telling me middle of August, then September, then August, now they are treating it like a special order. "You will get it after we do."

Not complaining, just stating fact of what I expected anyway after seeing post's regarding preorders. My little ol 16MB G400 keeps me from climbing walls about it and does nicely, though the guy that has committed to buy it is ready to come pry it out of my case any day now.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer1 (edited 08-27-1999).]

Can't spell tonight, darn keys keep changing places.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer1 (edited 08-27-1999).]

Comment

come on admit it the bourbon is changeing the keys for you.

i know im my case it helps (cuase i have to type more careful)

------------------
              incase you didn't know it. (Tylau is really a gay asian phone sex operator) "denis miller live"
              msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
              it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Perception, I don't know where you came up with this stuff, but both WD and IBM (of the SAME capacity) are slower than Quantum Firebal KA Plus 18.2! Not by much though - and are both great drives... in some tests they are even faster, but then faster usually means "the-same".

The only thing that IS a lot faster in sustained transfers is Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 5120. But it is also a lot slower at seek times. KA has the best access time - 8.5ms vs 9ms for competitors. This makes a whole of a lot difference when we are talking swap (and Windows still uses swap a lot even with my 192MB set up - go figure)

You should visit http://www.storagereview.com/. This is how I picked up my drive... benchmarks, reviews... I was at first after Maxtor but it was only fast in NT and in Win9x it was much slower than the competition. WD was pretty fast in Win9x and sucked in NT. IBM was the same as WD for the fact that WD bought IBM parts and design for their WD (WD's only decent drive lately - now you know why

KA was just a tad bit slower than Maxtor in NT, and a lot faster in Win9x. And it averaged above any other drive in the category.. thing is, when you talk drives, you need to talk the same capacity... cause GB per platter goes a long way here. And new technologies are bundled with bigger drives.

As to the price: Fireball+ KA 18.2 was the most expensive UDMA 7200rpm when I bought it. Compared against Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 5120 (20.4 GB ATA-33) and Western Digital Expert (18.0 GB ATA-66) - too other leading drives in the same category. And when I saw that I get the same numbers in the benchmarks as a machine with double P2s running 10krpm IBM Ultrastar U2W SCSI drive. I knew the investment was WELL worth it!

------------------
                P2c-300a/450, 192MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Creative Labs AWE64 Gold Sound Blaster, A-Trend Voodoo II 12MB, Matrox Millennium II 4MB (to be replaced with G400Max), 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752 and some other fancy stuff

Comment

to the new forum

Comment

Working...
                  X