Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 TOMS HARDWARE(FAVORITISM)

OK IM FINALLY PISSED OFF
    that bastard admitts that the opengl on the matrox card is shitty and even then the non-overclocked max catches the overclocked tnt/2 ultra in every test at 1600/1200 with poor drivers he then trashes the matrox and its archetecture.he needs to be kicked in the ass real hard.he didnt even mention the visually quality difference he even set the scale of the graph up to make the casual glance think that 6 frames sec was about 30.he dint mention that it was on forst driver release hmm the tnt has had about 40 (they are backwards compatable ive tried it)
    what bullshit oh well i feel better now letting of steam to supporters
    thanks

p.s. i am talking my cousin into the g400 and toms not helping.

Yea bummer, I saw it too. Tom is Tom and has always been NV.

Derek

------------------
    Intel P2-400@448 (112), Asus P2B (1008), G400 SH 32meg OEM, 128 cas 3 PC100, WD 6.4HD, Sb Live value, KDS AV7T, Memorex 48x, Iomega Int. Zip, USR 56k V90, Yamaha YST-M15, Teac 3.5.

Comment

Dr. Tom has been biased towards Nvidia for a long time. Not too many take him seriously any more because of this.

There are enough others out there (MaximumPC magazine, PC Magazine) that can put visual quality over a few more fps in quake.

Check out MaximumPC's review of the G400 and their dream machine 99. Their choice of video card - G400 MAX.
      Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

Comment

He ought to rename his site to: Tom's Un-Relenting Drabble, or TURD for short.

Rags

------------------
        Some people call me the Space Cowboy.....

Comment

just enother DEPRIVED/Tombman guy...TNT2-freak...let them suffer.. we all knowe whats the POWER of G400/G400MAX...& with new drivers & optimization tools..brrrrr I want even think about..
          PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

OK, we all know that Tom is smoking out of his nvidia crack pipe and that is why I don't go to his site anymore! If you don't like the schmuck then DON'T give him the hits. Every time you enter tomcrackpipesmokerhardware.com you are supporting his habit. Just say NO.

Comment

Calm down guys. I just went there and read his 3 way review with the Kryotech 800. He didn't diss the MAX as badly as you are saying. I got the impression he really liked the card but was again just saying they need to improve the open gl drivers some. You guys are way too sensitive about what Tom says. He basically didn't say much anyway, so stop harping about it. The more you are pissed off because of what one guy says, the more credence you give to his opinion. He's just one guy anyway, whatever he says.

Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

I agree with KvH, i just read the review as well, and i don't think he's biased towards anything. He didn't insult any of the videocards, he just said that early OpenGL drivers are the reason for MAX's lag in GL games. That's all there's to it, you people are WAY too sensitive. I've got my >regular< G400 oc'd to 170/170, still waiting for the MAX to come... i love this card no matter what Tom (or anyone) says. I think you should stick to the same principle

PS Did anyone download 5.20 drivers off the developer's site yet? If yes, any benchmarks?

Regards,
                Storm

Comment

The comparison of video cards on the Athlon 800 was not written by Tom Pabst.

[This message has been edited by Chris H (edited 08-27-1999).]

Comment

oops sorry about the double post - my first one

[This message has been edited by Chris H (edited 08-27-1999).]

Comment

Right, but none of the other G400MAX reviews were written by tom, so what review were you guys talking about?

Regards,
                      Storm

Comment

ok guys maybe i was a bit harsh but how about
                        comparing the matrox max to a card you can buy the hercules will not be avaliable now and few ultras will reach the 200 mhz memory settings.also lets try the tnt/2 ultra with the out the box viper 550 drivers and compare
                        i think for release drivers they are stable and offer good performance for the first set
                        i just think these comparasions will fare better after we have the 5.2's installed then
                        let the reviewers do their thing.what really strikes me funny is that on another review the g400 max caught and passed the viper in 4/5 test at or around the 1280x1024 mark yet they talk about the matrox being fillrate limited ect instead of giving it the props it deserves.well anyway it was 2am this morning maybe i overreacted

Comment

All I care about is whats in my box! why get pissed with a review site? Over a Video Card? What is the problem with this Video Card fixation now days, its way too funny!Is it a reason to live? I love this hobbie as much as the next guy but to get all worked up over stinking Video adapters?
                          Who cares about Toms hardware-0-Rama. Take a lesson from Maggie, Be cool and kind...

Comment

Tom is a doctor, what does he know about hardware anyway

Comment

thats just my point it is only driver related
                              nothing else and its running on the basicaly out the box drivers the architecture is superior thats why it catches everyone on the upperend with weak drivers.as far as low resolution is concerned i guess they felt like the card could run anything at low res fast enough to make it playable.you can see no difference between 90 fps and 60 fps unless at some time during the timedemo it
                              drops below 26 fps so your human eye can detect a change in fluid motion.i think they may have thought that people playing in 640x480 werent going to buy a high dollar card and run 19" monitors just to run 640x480
                              but since it has turned out to be an issue anyway they are going to address it with the new drivers.after all just three months ago the reviewers were putting the emphasis on what cards will do at higher resolutions becuase"640x480 was just not acceptable" with todays cards and processor speeds.

and for the record other reveiwer actually put the matrox overtaking the tnt/2 ultras at about 1024x768 in q3 test.

also the reason i get peeved is that i was trying to discuss the superior features of the matrox card to a family member online.he then pulled up toms site.thats why what he says makes a difference people that know very little about cards in general,are easily swayed by reviews like that

Comment

Working...
                              X