unhappy camper needs help with installation of max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unhappy camper needs help with installation of max

I'm sure this problem has been addressed elsewhere on the forum and I apologize
    but right at this moment I'm too frustrated
    to go looking.
    I uninstalled my nvidia drivers,including registry entries,downloaded the 5.13 drivers and installed them.I got my Dell screen, windows98 screen and then I was treated to
    a lot of small multi-colored boxes with 5
    black vertical lines about a 1/4 inch wide
    spread across the monitor.After playing with it for a while I went in to safe mode and reinstalled the drivers and got the same result.I then went in to safe mode deleted
    the drivers with the matrox uninstaller and
    used the vga 16 color driver. It works with the card.I reinstalled the matrox drivers
    and now I get the Dell screen, the windows screen and then a black screen with an hourglass and that's it.
    The card looks great at 16 colors but I was hoping for something more.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dell p2450, 192ram, 256 ap. setting,the fan
    is working.
    P.s.
    iiyama pro 400
    drivers on disk don't help
    my tnt was on irq 10.this now shows as holder for pci steering.
    Help!

[This message has been edited by surferpop (edited 08-26-1999).]

[This message has been edited by surferpop (edited 08-27-1999).]

I've been on the phone for the last 2 hours with Matrox tech support and they haven't
    been able to help me get the card to work.
    Anyone..........Help!

Comment

If it's still showing an IRQ holder, but nothing else on that IRQ, then there is probably some remenants of old drivers there still. Boot into safe mode, go to your device manager, and make sure there are no duplicate or errant drivers in there. If there are, remove all instances, and let windows redect the hardware.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I just installed my MAX and it went flawlessly BUT I had to uninstall my old matrox drivers (in your case i would uninstall all video drivers of any card you have owned). To unistall I used the matrox uninstall program that went with my old Mill2 and RRS I had in the computer. THEN I went into regedit.exe and played with the FIND command and looked up and deleted every reference to "Matrox" "MGA" and "Powerdesk". Then I installed only standard VGA drivers and rebooted and installed from there. once i rebooted i made sure that my BIOS was correct and saved the cmos and rebooted for a simple plug and play install.
        first note: estimate I spent about 5 to 10 minutes in regedit deleteting all the "Matrox" "MGA" and "Powerdesk". it was well worth it.
        second note: I just skipped all the url that these words apeared in.

GOOD LUCK

Comment

First run the Uninstaller, don't have to be in safe mode for this. It will reboot and then install the Standard VGA adapter, and it will reboot again.

Then...

Check your registry as rekamlias suggested for all MGA, Matrox, G200, Nvidia and for whatever brand your TNT was.

Then go to START > FIND and search your Hard Drive for files from all of the above.

Then check in Windows/System for any files starting with the above.

Then reboot and you should still be in the Standard VGA adapter. Now install the 5.13 matrox drivers.

I got my G400 to run on my Dell P2-450, but I did have to clean out the old drivers first.

Keep in touch , let us know how it's going.

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 08-27-1999).]
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Have you tried running Norton windoctor on your PC's registry? I have seen that fix so many werid problems in the past, it's untrue.
            If it still don't work, it maybe the card.
            I have seen on two occasions S3 cards giving me the black screen and just the mouse pointer, changing the card fixed them...

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

My PC houses one of these things which seems to affect some people's lives far too much...

Comment

To be honest you're better of doing a clean install of windows. I think

Fixes just about anything...and often saves you time in the long run.

Smiff

Comment

I agree with smiff 100%.

<marquee behavior="slide" loop="3" marquee align="bottom" bgcolor="white"
                <font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Comic Sans MS"><em><strong>sixpac</strong></em></font></marquee>

------------------
                Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+ 1.2a,64mb Mushkin Samsung GHcas2,Maxtor 8.4gb,G200 Mill.8mb Sgram,Yamaha sound
                Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound

Comment

Thanks for the responses.Unfortunately another 3+ hours and no luck.That's a total of 9 hours.I've removed everything that even sounds like nvidia,flashed my mobo bios and
                  uninstalled,reinstalled,uninstalled......etc.
                  No irq conflicts..It should work!
                  Actually it does work but only in 2d. As soon
                  as I enable hardware acceleration I get the
                  results mentioned in my first post.
                  I don't have the norton utility and I assume by a clean install of win 98 you mean re-formatting my hard drive.I'm not
                  sure I really want to deal with that.
                  After all it is just a video card. Oh well,
                  there's always a tnt2 and I'm really tired of messing with this right now. Thanks and good night.

Comment

What version DirectX, is it latest?

As far as a Win98 reinstall, that should be a last resort. With Win98 System File Checker, you can check for altered or damaged files and restore them easily.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer1 (edited 08-28-1999).]

Comment

Hi, I had the same problems with my MAX. When I play 3d games like Xwing Alliance, Expendable, etc... they would have the problems you are having. I installed the old drivers that came with the CD and my problems went away. Did you try that? From there, I used the Matrox uninstaller and then proceeded to install the new drivers again. I have no problems whatsoever now with the new drivers. Performance is kinda bad though. Xwing Alliance runs slower than when I had my Banshee card.

Comment

SCompRacer1- version 6.1
                        Kooguy-I can't use hardware acc. at all.
                        After my post last night I looked at my e-mail and the Matrox tech left a message
                        advising me that my card was probably defective and that they would send me a new one.Great service...I sure hope he's right.

Comment

to the new forum

Comment

Working...
                          X