Win98se or W2k for OS w/ Max & gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98se or W2k for OS w/ Max & gaming

Hello everyone. I have just recieved a cd of w2k beta release 3. Right now I'm running win98se and pondering whether to make the switch. I have heard some good things about w2k (as good as can be with microsoft products). But I want to know which OS will have better support for the Max, less problems with video drivers, and support for games such as Quake3...

And advice is welcome.
    Thanx,
    Jeremy

Yop. the w2k drivers are barely beta, Alpha I belive. But when w2k gets released, do note that drivers are far easier to make for a NT based system. far easier...

Can't wait until the game developers get's their ass in gear and releases patches...

Ching! 8 )

cheers,
    Fish.

Comment

Hi,

Only windows 98 will take full features of the G400. W2k is still in alpha state, win 95 does not fully recognize the AGP bus and does not do multiple display and NT is not fast enough since it only has DirectX3... so a lot of features will not work. I will not even mention OS2 and win3.11 ...

Z

[This message has been edited by Zwisch (edited 13 February 2000).]

Comment

That's what I was afriad of with the w2k OS. Maybe in the future I'll try it, but for now I'll stick with win98se then.

Thanx for the quick response.
        Jeremy

Comment

Hey Greebe,

Help me out here... what is 'DX7b2' and when will it be supported with win2k. I have the w2k beta 3 release disks with me now.

Thanx,
          Jeremy

Comment

W2K is NOT a gaming platform !! It is a misconception. Microsoft has slated a replacement for W98 in spring of 2000. Its been rumored to be called Millenium among other things. Look at W2k as NT5 not a "new" OS. You can game on it with work but the OS is a professional release not a gaming or general consumer release. I go to developer seminars for Microsoft and thats the statment from the Microsoft people that I have spoken to. (subject to change I'm sure)

Comment

First of all Zwisch W2K supports DirectX 7, and LAMFDTK, I use W2K RC1 (about to be upgraded to RC2, probably next week) at work and play half-life on it with a Dell 266 64megs Ram, ATI Rage PRO and Half-Life plays VERY nice on W2K. And the next consumer OS from microsoft is Millennium. It is going to be another W9x OS minus real mode. W2K doesnt have any G400 drivers yet. A friend gave me this email address, you can try to ask about W2K support. mga-nt@microsoft.com.

Good Luck (Post your response if there is one)

Comment

I am currently using Millennium and DX7 with my G400.. It works beautifully.

There's no W2k support for the G400 yet. It might happen in mid Sept but until then stick with Win98se...

Comment

How can I get a copy of Millenium? Are you alpha or beta testing for them???

Thanx,
                  Jeremy

Comment

A little note for those ABIT BE6 users. It appears that the ACPI bios extensions in the BE6 board are not compatible with Windows 2K RC1.

Guyv
                    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                    - 6.1 Digital Audio
                    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                    - LS120 IDE Floppy
                    - Zip 100 IDE
                    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                    - NEC FE950
                    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

I posted more complete information regarding this problem in the general hardware forum under BE6 and Windows 2000.
                      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                      - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                      - 6.1 Digital Audio
                      - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                      - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                      - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                      - LS120 IDE Floppy
                      - Zip 100 IDE
                      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                      - NEC FE950
                      - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

to the new forum

Comment

Working...
                        X