Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seti@home, G200 and PD 5.13

I suspect this combination not to work.
    From time to time when starting up, just before the desktop is shown, I get an exception 0E and the system hangs, requiring a cold boot. After a restart, scandisk is always run. Then sometimes it happens again.
    So sometimes I have to restart win98 three times before I can work with it (running two times scandisk).
    Also since running the Seti software in combination with pd 5.13 none of my Organic Art Plus! screensavers are working.

This exception 0E problem got worse since I upgraded to the latest Seti software version 1.6.

For the time begin I deinstalled the Seti software. So all aliens who were bound to be found by me will have to wait a little longer.

Anyone experiencing similar problems?

Deinstalling the Seti software didn't solve the problems with the Organic Art screensaver. I hope it gets rid of the exception error.

Regards,

LiLong.

System info.
    Asus P2B-S
    PII 400
    128 MB Ram
    Win 98 SE

G200 Millenium 8MB SGRAM

G200 Graphics software
    Graphics BIOS 2.3 - 11
    Display Driver 4.11.0.1.2110
    Matrox PowerDesk 5.13.0.20
    Mini - VDD 4.11.0.1.2110
    DirectD/Direct3D Driver 4.11.0.1.2110
    Microsoft DirectX 4.06.03.0518
    No tweaks.

Win98SE... could be the problem...

One question: Do you have the SETI@Home as screensaver or continuously in the background??

Two question: Have you tried reinstalling Windows98Se, Dx6.1 and Dx6.2 (it seems it's in the SE package)?

Three: PD5.13 seems to do strange things, but not to any screensavers as far as I know.
    Check the http://forums.gagames.com/forums/For...ML/003615.html thread

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hi Jorden,
      thanks for the reply. But it is solved already.

It wasn't Windows 98SE, I upgraded to that to see if that would help.

I am running Seti as a screensaver because I play Unreal quite a lot and I want minimal applications to be running in the background.

I am not sure if Win98SE automatically installs DirectX 6.2. It wasn't an option during installation and I don't know how to check the DirectX version.

The problem was solved by running the uninstall utility from Matrox and doing a reinstall. The utility was not available when 5.13 arrived initially. I guess it did a better job at removing old registry settings and files than I did manually, or some mga files got corrupted.

I reinstalled the Seti software, it continued from the point where I deinstalled. So it doesn't seem to delete the packet that it was working on. The Organic screen savers also work again.

Regards,
      LiLong

[This message has been edited by LiLong (edited 08-25-1999).]

Comment

Exactly the same problems returned. When running the Seti software, 1 in every 2 times, when I deactivated the running software I got Exception 0e, or sometimes just a black screen with some red brush banding on top. With the same frequency the same errors occurred when starting Unreal.

I deinstalled the Seti software for the second time. Also did a de and reinstall of the 5.13 drivers.

However, everytime the Organic Art (Plus! 98) screensave kicked in the system hung.
        Doing a preview resulted in the same effect.

I found that rather strange because before reinstalling the 5.13 drivers would make the Organic Art screensaver work normally again.

Last night I changed resolution from 1152x864 32bit to 1280x1024 32 bit.

So I switched to 1024x768 32 bit. That was it. The screensaver worked normally again.

Strange uh? So maybe it is not related to the Seti software but somehow to the resolution, like if some DirectX calls are not working with the 5.13 driver for resolutions higher than 1024x768.

Regards,
        LiLong

Comment

Working...
        X