Tom's Hard-on-ware does it again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom's Hard-on-ware does it again...

We all know that Tom Pabst excels at impartiality, as demonstrated by the age old nVidia vs 3dfx thing that was going on a while back, but it would appear he has found a new butt plug in the form of his Athlon(s). I probably don't need to tell you that many don't appreciate his more often than not one sided or very poorly balanced writing style, but I can't help but feel he's beaten his own personal best (or worst) with his "Performance-showdown between Athlon and Pentium III" article.

I remember his remarks about the PIII when it first came out, and how he passed the chip off as being a half arsed effort by intel to compete with AMDs K6-3 chip (did anyone ever buy one of those things?). All of a sudden, his reviews change their angle. Right from the opening paragraph of his review, he refers to the PIII as a... hang on, he doesn't refer to it at all!?! What could be going on here I wonder.

Although I might take the risk of boring you with even more Athlon-stuff, I decided to beef up the information about AMD's new CPU on this website. It's most likely that we at Tom's Hardware are the first to present Athlon at clock speeds of 500, 550, 700 and 750 MHz and thus we didn't want to waste any more time and decided to post our findings.
    Jeez Tom, maybe you should take a little more care to mention those un-achievable clock speeds to your readers a few more times next time.

He performs his usual array of out-dated CPU and system tests, and dazzles us with numbers (which I admit, do favour the Athlon) and charts. In one instance (the expedable demo) the PIII with it's SSE instructions comes a little closer to the Athlons levels. His response to this made me laugh, I mean really laugh, when this guy takes to something he really does push it all the way...

Expendable shows that the battle between Athlon and Pentium III becomes closer as soon as a game favorites ISSE-enhancements over 3DNow!-enhancements. That's where Intel will try to intervene, making sure that software uses ISSE and not 3DNow!. It's the only way to make Pentium III look good or at least reasonable against Athlon.
    Tom, Tom, Tom, jumping to the defence of your pimp again hey? Surely sounds like it.

OK, sorry for boring you good Matrox folk. I have nothing against AMD, I own an AMD system, I just don't like it when people try to pass off personal opinions as a "review". I really need to stop reading his stuff, he really does have his head up his arse.

Dave K

------------------
    Agent31™. All comments Copyright © 1999 Agent31. All rights reserved.
    Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Maybe we should see if Tom will review this card? http://www.devildogs.com/tof/best3d.htm
    I would love to see his review. Maybe he can get Tylau as a 3rd party tester.

------------------
    BH6 450A 128MB CW7502B CDR SR8583 DVD SBlive! Value Hollywood + AL320N USR Sportster etc. Oh, 8MB G200 Mystique too!

Office: Giga266A, XP1900+, 1GB PC2100. 80GB Maxtor, Matrox G550 Integraph 21", Sceptre 19"
    Home:#1.Abit IS7, 512MB OCZ DDR 533, P4C2600 at 3260, LiteOn 411S DVDRW, LiteOn 481248 CDRW,WD 80G ATA100, Audigy, 2X IBM P202, Radeon 9600 Pro as well.
    #2. TB 1.33G/KR7AR133/512MB PC2100. MSI GF4-4200TI, Maxtor 13.6/40G drives/Ricoh 121032 CDRW, Hitachi 8X DVD, AOpen 52X. etc.
    #3. P3-700-512MB/BX6R2/GF2MX400/
    etc. #4,#5 Various P2 with G400, G200.

Comment

Comment

I think the way of OCing the Athlon has already been released. All I know is it has to do with a few pins. From the lil excerpt in Anandtech, it didnt sound like what he made it out to be. I really wonder about Tom sometimes, but then I realize I have better sites to goto. Like this one (hope that won me a brownie point heh)! Toms OCed Athlon VS OCed P3 sounded biased to me. Alot of other reviews had some of the same information, but in a much professional manner. I still think Shaky is the Anti-Tom...

-The-Rev-

Comment

Ah, Tom's just one of those guys who has always been in AMD's camp, mainly because if we lose AMD, Intel will have no competition. If that happens, nothing will happen. The P3 will be the best chip available til Intel decides they've milked us enough.. hmm maybe 5 or 6 years? Tom was also a personal victim of Intel's bullying a couple of years back, so you can hardly blame him for his attitude.

Plus, his article is full of FACTS about the architecture, which clearly show what a nice chip AMD has made. I would expect it to be that much faster with all the architectural improvements. It does annoy me somewhat that he is not particularly impartial in his opinion here, but if you are used to it, you can ignore that, or read through it. Let's not be too hard on Tom, guys. At least he roots for the underdog when the underdog surely needs it.

BTW, what goofball at AMD named their board FESTER? Will the next generation be the "Gomez"? Oh and don't forget their server board, "Thing"! Alright, stop with the rotten tomatoes already!

Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

If I remember correctly, this guy is the same as before who three times tried to benchmark Quake 3 Test 1, although the timedemo code was broken. He even called one of the id programmers almost something like a moron.

Although the Athlon does seem like a great processor, 3DMark already said that the bencmarks scores used by AMD were marketing crap, since they benchmarked the Athlon with 3DNow! instructions enabled, but they benchmarked the PIII with SSE instructions off.

Also in his 3D accelerator benchmarks the TNT2 Ultra always seems to win, despite that all other reviews on the net show otherwise.

Comment

Tom cannot be trusted. His reviews are garbage. He has proven this time and time again. If older events weren't proof enough, he did, as one person above noted, tell Brian Hook that he was "confused" and "didn't know anything about the Q3Test code" when in fact Brian helped WRITE the Q3Test code... all because Tom claimed he could benchmark Q3Test on a broken version.

The man's a moron, let's just face it. Either that or he sold his soul long ago.

- Ash

------------------
              Portions of this message may have been Copyright 1999, Jorden van der Elst. All rights (and lefts) reserved.
              ------------------------
              Specs? You want specs? Yeah. Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart. Ya got that?! Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me...

Comment

If you dislike him/what he has to say so much then don't visit his web site.

Comment

Chris H,

This is more of a case of "in God we trust, everyone else you monitor" situation.

Some need more monitoring than others though, and that's the point I believe he is trying to make.

Comment

Chris H,

The point I was trying to make is simply that people everywhere regard what Tom says as "God's Honest Truth". This is mainly because years ago (3 or 4) his was THE best site on the entire Internet for news about hardware. Now, unfortunately, he has sold out. But people still come on here and every other board spouting rumours and gossip that they heard at Tom's, despite the fact that 90% of what he now says turns out to be false.

That's all. I don't dislike him personally. There are lots of sellouts that are perfectly nice people.

- Ash

------------------
                    Portions of this message may have been Copyright 1999, Jorden van der Elst. All rights (and lefts) reserved.
                    ------------------------
                    Specs? You want specs? Yeah. Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart. Ya got that?! Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me...

Comment

Fair comment Ash.

Tom does seem to think he rules the world lately......

Comment

Just been flicking through some company's leaflet/brochure type thing, and they advertise AOpen mobos. The closing comment is:

"Chosen as one of the 5 best mainboards in the world, by Tom's Hardware Guide"

I just thought - wonder what that cost Aopen....

------------------
                        Cheers,
                        Steve

My PC houses one of these things which seems to affect some people's lives far too much...

Comment

It will cost their good reputation.

Comment

Comment

Shit I'll have to buy a new motherboard now
                              God damn the server ate my username

Comment

Working...
                              X