Myriad G400 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myriad G400 problems

I have purchased a G400 16mb singlehead, and I am having problems.

1. Crashes during 3d. Sometimes my system will either blue screen, lock up, or reboot when playing 3d games.

2. Internet Explorer crashes intermittently, either during page loading or when scrolling up or down. The error message mentions GDI.EXE.

3. Weird dark bands appear on the screen sometimes, like when I resize a window. Imagine a monitor set to an invalid video mode, with bands streaking across the CRT. Those bands are faintly superimposed on my regular display. It's really bad when, in IE, I decide to resize a resizable frame, click, hold, and move the mouse.

4. Weird "color splitting" effect. This only happened once - it's the rarest effect. I brought up IE, surfed a bit, and suddenly I was scrolling down when the red and green channels scrolled down, but the blue channel stayed where it was. I minimized IE and the bluish-tinged image of the page I was viewing was superimposed on the desktop. I brought up the My Computer window and moved it. Again, the red and green channels moved, leaving the blue behind. Now the bluish IE-image was partially obscured by a bluish My Computer window, all that was superimposed on the desktop and a red/green/yellow My Computer window I was dragging around. The mouse pointer was unaffected. I had to temporarily switch color depths to fix the weird display.

So, what do you think the problem is? Here are my system specs:

Celeron 366 oc to 550 (and yes I tried running at just 366 and the problems didn't go away)
    Abit ZM6
    Sb Live Value
    ISA NE2000 NIC
    Powerdesk 5.13.020 (Something odd: when I disable busmastering all my games crash upon loading)
    Windows 98
    192 MB 8ns CAS 2 RAM (rated for 125mhz)

Have you set your AGP aperture to 256, you should have. Also have you checked for any IRQ conflicts. Have you completely uninstalled previous video drivers properly?

Rags

Comment

What? You "disable busmastering" which will lead all your "games crash upon loading"?
      Don't you mean enable?

B

Comment

Yes, my AGP aperture is set to 256, there are no irq conflicts (video is irq 11), and I did a format c: / reinstall win98 so there are no conflicts with other video drivers.

Buuri: When I turn busmastering off, all my games crash when loading. It's weird, I can't figure it out.

Comment

This is weird...
          P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Re-install DX6.1?
            Re-flash the card's BIOS?
            Have you used Pstrip?
            Check for heat problems?

I think prob no 4 can be put down to 'one of those things'. I've never seen it, or heard of it, and if you cannot reproduce it, I would just forget about it.

I think reflash the BIOS to be the best course of action at the moment.

What's you AGP bus speed?

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

My PC? Not that bad, got all sorts of crap in it, and all sorts of crap around it and my desk is also messy. Now what does that say about me? ;¬)

Comment

Okay, I finally got around to replying... Here's what I figured out.

The busmastering problem - Only OpenGL games crash on loading. D3D games are fine.

I re-flashed the BIOS with the latest version. It did not help. I also have never used Powerstrip. My FSB is 100Mhz * 2/3 = 66 Mhz AGP - normal.

Heat problems - how do I check? I've noticed that the case temperature (as measured by the ZM6's onboard temp sensor) is warmer than it was with my S3 Virge (the card I upgraded from). It certainly sounds like heat problems to me.

Comment

The card needs busmastering enabled for using hardware acceleration ...

Maybe I missed something, but why did you disable it ?

------------------
                Cheerio,
                Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB - Bios 1010 final
                Celeron300A @ 504Mhz
                128MB 7ns SDRAM
                G400 DualHead 32MB SGRAM @ 201 MHz memory clock
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

up

------------------
                  and ty%&§!° went down again

Helmchen

Comment

up
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

up
                      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Up
                        God damn the server ate my username

Comment

Working...
                        X