PD5 royally f***s up my system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD5 royally f***s up my system.

I've read every single thread on this forum about people having problems with getting PD5 working. I've tried everything, but nothing has worked. Here's what happens when I try to install PD 5.13 on my system. First I remove all traces any matrox stuff on my system. (I remove PD4 using Add/Remove Programs, then I remove all g200*.* matrox*.* and mga*.* files from my drive, then I remove all g200* matrox* and mga* registry entries, and finally I switch to the Standard VGA display driver.) Then I run the Matrox uninstaller, just for good measure. Next I run setup.exe in the w9x_513 directory. I go through each step, and when it gets to the copying files part, it doesnt seem to copy any files. It just says copying files, something flickers a little, then it goes on to the reboot step. So then I click finish and it reboots. Windows boots up normally, until the GUI comes up, and everything's all scrambled and weird colors and hard-locked and all together useless. Now I have to press the reset button on my case, and when Windows comes up again, I tell it to reboot into normal mode. Now the GUI comes up in 640x480 16 colors. Now it prompts me for updated drivers for my Standard VGA Display Adapter and so I point it to c:\mgafold\w9x_513\. It copies a whole bunch of files from there, and tells me I have to reboot. After I reboot, lo and behold... I'm in 640x480 16 colors! woo! Now it says something about "There is something wrong with your display settings." (commentary: No! Really?) and brings up the Display Settings control panel applet. Now I notice that it's only got 16 colors, 256 colors, and 16bit as color depth options, and the res only goes up to 1024x768. Strange, because I have a ViewSonic 21 (that's the model name) that goes up to 1600x1200. Another thing I notice is that if I click the Advanced button one time, it only has one tab, and then if I close it and re-open it it has all the normal ones I had when I had PD4.51. It also says that I have a "ViewSonic 21 on Matrox Millenium G200 AGP - English" so I figure "hey cool" and bump up the res to 1024x768x16bpp. When I reboot it's scrambled, just like before. And I'm back to 640x480 16 colors. I read a thread about the problem being with the monitor, so I tried rebooting with two other monitors: a "Compaq SVGA" and an "IBM 8516".. both crappy old 14" monitors that both worked when I used PD4.51. I have also tried switching bios settings to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

Here are my system specs, cuz you probably wanna know.

AMD K6 233MHz
    Epox P55-VP3 mobo (VIA VP3 chipset)
    One IDE channel enabled
    primary master: IBM 18gb 7400rpm
    primary slave: Toshiba XM-6202b CDROM
    SoundBlaster Live!
    Advansys ABP940-UA SCSI
    id 0: Seagate ST410800N 9gig scsi drive
    id 4: Ricoh MP6201S cdrw
    Linksys Etherfast 10/100
    Matrox Millenium G200
    ViewSonic 21
    USR 56k Internal (not a windmodem)
    PS/2 keyboard
    PS/2 mouse
    Windows 98 Second Edition
    All the latest drivers for my hardware.

When I have USB enabled I have 1 IRQ conflict, and here's what my config would look like:

IRQ0: System timer
    IRQ1: Keyboard
    IRQ2: Programmable interrupt controller
    IRQ3: COM2
    IRQ4: COM1
    IRQ5: Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
    IRQ5: IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ5: Creative SB Live!
    IRQ6: Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    IRQ7: ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    IRQ8: System CMOS/real time clock
    IRQ9: IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ9: Advansys PCI SCSI Host Adapter
    IRQ10: IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ10: Via Tech 3038 PCI to USB controller
    IRQ11: IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ11: Matrox Millenium G200 AGP - English
    IRQ12: PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    IRQ13: Numberic data processor
    IRQ14: VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    IRQ14: Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo)
    IRQ15: unused

I the SB Live!'s SB16 emulation also disables itself because without USB it's on IRQ5.

Now I'm going to reboot and disable USB and list the IRQs with out it.
    ---
    OK. Just as a side note, when I disabled USB and rebooted, Windows booted to a scrambled screen. surprise surprise!

Here's my list of IRQs when USB is disabled.

IRQ0: System timer
    IRQ1: Keyboard
    IRQ2: Programmable interrupt controller
    IRQ3: COM2
    IRQ4: COM1
    IRQ5: Creative SB Live! SB16 Emulation
    IRQ6: Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    IRQ7: ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    IRQ8: System CMOS/real time clock
    IRQ9: Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
    IRQ9: IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ10: Creative SB Live!
    IRQ10: IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ11: Advansys PCI SCSI Host Adapter
    IRQ11: IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ12: PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    IRQ13: Numberic data processor
    IRQ14: VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    IRQ14: Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo)
    IRQ15: IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ15: Matrox Millenium G200 AGP - English
    IRQ15: IRQ Holder for PCI Steering

I find it interesting that the G200 gets two IRQ Holder thingies. Anyone know why?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I put together this system over a year ago, thinking I was buying good parts, and it's been constant trouble since... the thing that's funny is that everything works fine in Linux, it's just windows that's got a problem with this stuff. (ARR! KILL MICROSOFT! ARR!)

Thanks!
    -Matt(xevious)

[This message has been edited by xevious (edited 08-20-1999).]

xevious,

If you want to free up some more IRQ's, disable one of your serial (com) ports in BIOS, if you are not using them. Alot of computers with internal modems are set up like this.

As far as SB 16 emulation, if you do not play any DOS games, disable it in device manager.

Comment

Thanks, SCompRacer1, but I need both of my COM ports and I also need SB16 emulation.
      Thanks anyway.
      -Matt(xevious)

Comment

Have you tried booting with JUST the bare essentials?

Maybe it's that AMD chip.. :/

Comment

If it's showing 2 IRQ holders, there is probably some remanants of something hanging onto that IRQ.

Boot into safe mode, and check your device manager. All of it. Especially mobo and pnp type things. Stuff will show up in safe mode that doesn't in normal mode. Look for duplicate entries, or things listed that are no longer in your system, or disabled. Remove both copies of all duplicates, all errant devices listed, and let Windows redetect the hardware. If there are lots of duplicates, you may want to edit your registry, and delete the entire ENUM key. This will remove all hardware drivers, and let windows rebuild them from the ground up...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I think it's those VIA chips. I had this shitty SS7 board with VIA chips when I bought my G200. I had same kind of a troubles, and I was never able to fix before I bought an Asus board (with ALi chips).

Oh, but then again it should work with bus mastering disabled, but I don't think you want to settle with that. Also try to disable "read around write" and other that kind of settings from BIOS.

B

Comment

Kruzin - thanks. I went into safe mode and it said there was a secondary ide controller.
              I tried to remove it, but it said it belonged to a parent device. The window said something about "the following parent device" and then didnt list anything. Which Enum thing should I delete in the registry? All of them?

Thanks.
              -Matt(xevious)

Comment

Hi there fellow AMD user...

You just described all the problems I'm
                currently having with my system better
                than I could have done myself

It's common problem with Super Socket 7
                mainboards, but no-one (at least in this
                forum) has been able to solve it (yet).
                (big thanks for all the effort anyway!)

I'm using ASUS P5A mainboard with the Ali Aladdin chipset, and the symptoms are just the same: First, the Setup doesn't seem to
                copy any files anywhere, and then Windows
                crashes at reboot.

(note: updating the Ali AGP drivers fixed
                the odd behaviour of the setup-program for me, but not the reboot problems. Don't know about the VIA chipset)

One difference: I've never even been able to get the 640*480 desktop with 5.13 drivers.
                It's either all garbled graphics or a total system freeze with a black screen.

All earlier drivers work without problems.
                I'm starting to suspect a conspiracy here...

Another problem for me is that I was planning
                to upgrade to G400, but now I have second thoughts because of this driver-issue. If the drivers do not work with G200, there is a chance they do not work with G400 if the actual problem really is in the SS7 mainboards. I'm actually concidering
                getting a Voodoo 3, can you believe it !
                (it's still the most SS7-compatible solution if I'm not mistaken) And TNT2 is worst of the lot with SS7-boards.

Yes, I've been told to switch to Intel-based
                mainboards, but as a student I have a limited budget, and upgrading the processor/mainboard/G400 combination at once is a bit too much. I prefer the better price/performance ratio offered by AMD.

I've lost track of the point I was
                trying to make...

------------------
                System ----------------
                AMD K6-2 300@350
                ASUS P5A b1007
                Millenium G200 b2.6
                Sound Blaster 16 ISA
                128 mb RAM
                Windows 98
                Hyundai DeluxScan 15Pro
                Ali AGP driver v1.6
                4.33c certified driver

Comment

That's weird because I had no problems in updating from 4.51 to 5.13 and I have P5A too.
                  Did you remove the old drivers properly? Do you have the latest AGP driver for Win98 and motherboard BIOS?
                  (The latest BIOS is 1007A and available from <a href="ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_7/ALI_Chipset/ALI_V/P5A/">ftp.asuscom.de</a>. The AGP driver lurks in <a href="http://www.ali.com.tw">www.ali.com.tw</a>)

B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 08-20-1999).]

Comment

My driver versions are hidden somewhere
                    in the system information
                    in the signature

But seriously, yes, bios version is 1007.
                    I have the matrox uninstaller and I've been using it. My AGP driver is v1.6. I got it from www.acerlabs.com/ -something, but it looks like the same. There can't be so many of them... Are there other Ali Aladdin related drivers I should be aware of?

This 1.6 version seems to be the first one
                    to actually do what it says (i.e. solve compatibility problems with G200). The earlier versions generally froze my system within 30 seconds after starting windows.

Other than this, I'm quite happy with my
                    P5A-mainboard

------------------
                    System ----------------
                    AMD K6-2 300@350
                    ASUS P5A b1007
                    Millenium G200 b2.6
                    Sound Blaster 16 ISA
                    128 mb RAM
                    Windows 98
                    Hyundai DeluxScan 15Pro
                    Ali AGP driver v1.6
                    4.33c certified driver

Comment

D'OH!

Well.. anyway about other drivers, there are IDE drivers as well at www.ali.com.tw
                      It's recommended to use them.

I just noticed that you are using 4.33c, but have you tried 4.51? You should try them in order to find out if you are experiencing a problem with PD5 series or is it somewhere else.

B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 08-20-1999).]

Comment

xevious - I would only delete the ENUM key if I has lots of duplicate devices. You will probably not be able to get rid of that IDE controoler, since it's a part of the same parent device as the other IDE port. But if you where go this way, just delete they entire key. But expect hours of rebuilding all of your drivers...

Can you force the Net card to that IRQ through the pci/pnp settings in the bios? Then the G400 should fall into a better IRQ...
                        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

you might wanna try and get rid of those 5.13
                          drivers and download them again plus the latest drivers from via which i believe are the 4 all in one drivers take everything out
                          ofyour system except the video card and reformat your hard drive and do a clean install of winblows after setup is done install the via drivers first then dx6.1
                          then the 5.13 drivers and see if that works
                          if that does the trick install the rest of your stuff one at a time.hope this helps.no
                          matter what i install new i always reformat and do a clean install and i've never had any problems with my ss7 Good Luck

------------------
                          Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+ 1.2a,64mb Mushkin Samsung GHcas2,Maxtor 8.4gb,G200 Mill.8mb Sgram,Yamaha sound
                          Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound

Comment

Also remember to disable write cache pipeline
                            and read around write in your bio's

------------------
                            Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+ 1.2a,64mb Mushkin Samsung GHcas2,Maxtor 8.4gb,G200 Mill.8mb Sgram,Yamaha sound
                            Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound

Comment

I'm using 4.33c because the 4.51 version
                              (as well as those old 4.2x versions) give
                              me corrupted textures and such in some games I'm currently playing. Mainly Colin McRae Rally and Thief and Unreal. I see no visible difference in speed, but with 4.51 there seems to be all kinds of small errors in graphics. The only occasion I'm using the 4.51 is when playing Half-Life (not often), in order to see something undervater.

Downloaded the IDE driver. Gotta try when I get home. (been typing this at work )

My current IDE driver is from the ASUS installation CD, from august '98, so its quite old... can't remember the version.

Until recently, I did not have any special
                              AGP-drivers at all (since they brought only trouble). At least not visible in the ADD/REMOVE program section. Just a clean install of win98 and the drivers from the ASUS CD (minus the AGP driver, v1.2 which is a disaster), directX6.1 and the matrox drivers. Everything worked just fine, games, everything. It's only after this PD5.13 -issue I've started to fiddle with these special AGP-drivers, mostly with very pathetic results. Only this v1.6 seems to work. For now. I'm no expert in these issues, and far too cynical to think one new patch could solve everything.

I think I'm also typing too long posts...

Comment

Working...
                              X