Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major problem with G200 - please help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major problem with G200 - please help!!!

After removing and reinstalling Win98, my computer cant detect my Myst. G200.
    When I try to install drivers, it says "No Matrox Board found on this system"
    When I check in device manager, it says I have a OAK SUPERVGA CARD.
    If I remove that, I still cant install drivers.
    If I try to install drivers manually, Win98 says that the drivers wasnt made for this card and something may not work properly.

I have tryed to install win98 3 times now, same problem every time. Removed all other car din computer, but no difference.

What to do? Buy a new card? Please help me!
    Can it be hardware fault, VGA-graphics works fine but no high resolutions....

------------------
    -maxie-
    C64, C1541, TapeRecorder, 14" TV, Final Cart III, Quickshot 2 Joy, Epyx Fastloader.
    -maxie-

I have tryed with v4.33 and v5.13 of drivers.

-maxie-

Comment

First of all, we <u>need</u> your system specs!

Second, were you assembling a new system, or upgrading your old system?

What vidcard were you previously using?

What monitor are you using?

Were you upgrading Win95 to Win98?

Now...to try to fix this...

If you have a PCI or ISA video card (and I hope you do; you need it) dig it up.

Boot into Win98 and change your display settings to Standard VGA or Standard PCI VGA,
      16 or 256 colors, 640X480. Change your monitor to 'SuperVGA 800X600' (standard monitor types)

Uninstall all drivers for the Matrox card and any other video cards that you might have previously used.

Reboot into Safe Mode, and go into the Device Manager. Remove any videocards that appear which are other than "Standard VGA". Remove all monitors other than "Standard VGA 800X600". While you're there, check all your other device listings, and if any of them appear multiple times, remove that all instances of the device so it is no longer in the list.

Shut down. Remove the Matrox card and put in the PCI (or ISA) card. Boot into DOS, using a boot floppy, if possible.

Reinstall Win98. After you do the required reboots and the installation of drivers that it may ask you for, install the Matrox drivers. Shut down and remove the other card and install the Matrox card.

Boot up and see if it works. You will have to change the display settings to your preferred color depth and resolution, and you will have to change your monitor to whatever it is.

This procedure seems to solve most ordinary config problems with the Win98 install....

Also, there is a .vxd bug in the Win98 install that prevents a number of device drivers (most notably video and comm ones) from being properly installed. Go here http://www.mcs.net/~revolutn/win98_vxd_fix.htm to get a batch file to fix it.

Good luck! [And give us those system specs!]

---------------------------
      the once and future motub

Comment

I have following:
        P2/400 (not overclocked at this moment)
        128 MB RAM
        ABIT BH6
        Myst. G200 8 MB
        Monitor EIZO T57S 17" Trinitron
        IBM 16 MB HDD
        Voodoo2 (removed)
        Adaptec 2940 (Removed)
        Sb Live! (Removed)

I have not upgraded or changed any hardware, I just removed Win98 and reinstalled from scratch, no upgrade from Win95.

I tryed to upgrade my Bios to v2.6, no difference after that.

It was no problem before installing Win98 again, it had worked alrite with all version of drivers up to v5.13.

Shit, i usually have no problem fixing computers, lots of people asking me for help when they have problems, but this time i´m stuck!!

-maxie-

Comment

what happened to your Windows that you had to remove it??
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

I may well be wrong, but didn't all matrox's get recognised as a default Oak device (or you were supposed to install them as such), then you installed the Matrox software to get the card recognised correctly. On my various Mystique/Millenium installations they always went in as 'Oaks' at a low resolution, then I put in powerdesk etc.
            Don't make me angry...

Comment

I may well be wrong, but didn't all matrox's get recognised as a default Oak device (or you were supposed to install them as such), then you installed the Matrox software to get the card recognised correctly. On my various Mystique/Millenium installations they always went in as 'Oaks' at a low resolution, then I put in powerdesk etc.
              Don't make me angry...

Comment

Oh, HO!

The first thing I notice is that (damn) Voodoo2.

I had a lot of problems setting up my SS7 system-- with Win95 at the time, in fact these issues are why I went to Win98-- because of that V2 card.

At what point in this procedure did you take out the V2, and did you remove all the Voodoo/3dfx drivers from your system?

The two things I found during my own trials is that
                [list=1][*]the Voodoo card is extremely agressive and I found that in any new install of Windows it would be found first-- but since it doesn't do 2D, my system would crash with the error(s) you describe.
                [*]the Matrox cards have a strange relationship with their drivers and PD. I've to reinstall Win98 several times, and errors like those occur variously whether I install the PD and drivers 1st or just the drivers alone 1st, or the certified Win98 drivers 1st. It seems to be rather a crapshoot, frankly. Installing the drivers (without PD) from the Advanced tab of Display Properties or from the Device Manager has worked fine, though, despite that "drivers wasnt made for this card" msg (which I get too, and it scared me too, but everything works OK... for an SS7 system....)[/list=a]

I'd say make sure that the V2 drivers are off your system completely, and uninstall PD and all Matrox drivers, and when Win98 detects your HW (it does detect your HW, doesn't it?) find the (certified) Matrox drivers on the Win98 CD (or in C:\windows\system, if you install Matrox's drivers before you reinstall Windows, again). That should get you running through the reboots (I hope) and when you finally get into Windows (beyond the "Windows is setting up your hardware and any plug and play devices you may have" crap) you ought to be able to change your display settings to their final form.....

Keeping my fingers crossed....

---------------------------
                the once and future motub

Comment

Hi,

The Matrox often get recognize as Oak technilogy since their vendors ID are almost identical (off by one). Have you tried forcing the Mystique manually by only installing the INF file through the device manager? once the INF file in you should be able to install the drivers.

Z

Comment

Have you tried removing the G200 from its slot and re-seating it??
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

What with this Oak anyway? Was that the current Matrox?
                      I remember that during the DOS days all the programs used to recognize my old Millennium as Oak adapter.

B

Comment

I don't know what your setup is but I also had this problem when I first got my G200 until I loaded the AGP drivers for my SS7 motherboard.

Joel
                        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Up
                          God damn the server ate my username

Comment

Working...
                          X