Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting Tips

Folks,

I've been seeing a lot of people with common problems posting lately. Rather than reply to all of you, here are some tips on KNOWN issues with the G400:

1. On ASUS BX boards, you will probably need to disable ECC checking on your memory. Whether or not you have ECC memory may not be the issue here. Just turn off the checking.

2. On ABIT BH6 boards, and maybe on others, cheap monitors will kill your system. More specifically, the DDC on the monitor will. So change the type of monitor from PNP monitor or the monitor's real type to one of the generic types, like "1024x768x75hz" or "Standard Monitor". Then use the PowerDesk controls to adjust it later. This fixes snow, crashing, garbage on the screen, and spontaneous reboots, if you can believe it!

3. Socket 7 Motherboards my simply NOT WORK with the G400. Make sure you have the latest drivers, BIOS, and AGP Gart for your board before even asking a question here.

In all of the above cases, be prepared that you may have to eventually do a complete reinstall of your machine, it may be the only way to solve your problem in the long run.

Feel free to post any specific, reproducable issues onto this thread.

DON'T add to this thread with your own specific problems. I want it to be a first-step help to people.

- Slarty

------------------
    It wasn't always like this... I had a real life once. A signature, too. I used to be a guy named Gurm. But that's all gone now. Now, my name is Ash... and I am a slave.
    ------------------------
    Specs? You want specs? Yeah. Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart. Ya got that?! Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me...

You're close to becoming a living FRA (frequently replied answers), Slarty

It may be a sound idea to set up a FAQ on one of the sites. Any takers? Slarty?
    P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Also, if you stick in the G400, and it seems DOA, then put in your old card, set the AGP apeture to 256mb and then go to the G400.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

My PC? Not that bad, got all sorts of crap in it, and all sorts of crap around it and my desk is also messy. Now what does that say about me? ;¬)

Comment

I dont understand word from this slatebastard. Are you sure of what you said, you are just a loser guessing whats going on with your idiotic box, you cant even manage a GXXXX, call you mum, child!

Comment

tylau,

dude, what is your deal? were you not hugged enough as a child? Slarty was being very helpful and out of the blue you flame him.

Perhaps you're just a catalyst trying to fire things up here but I think more people come here for information with a touch of wit. Your posts are just stupid.

I'm so tempted to say, 'I know you are, but what am I?' But I wont.

te he...

------------------
          PII/400, 384MB, 27GB across two IDE drives, SB-live value, 3com 10 baseT, DSL connected,
          G200 + 12MB voodoo2 (until G400Max comes back), on an Asus P3B-F mobo.
          PIII/850, 640MB, ASUS P3B-F,80GB+ of HD, G400MAX +12MB voodoo2, SB live!MP3, Cable Modem, etc...

Comment

?

[This message has been edited by rubank (edited 08-16-1999).]

Comment

Also if your mobo allows you to do so, make sure the G400 gets assigned to an IRQ greater than 7. It does make a difference.

Good one skeeech...Hehehehe

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 08-16-1999).]
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I'm tempted to reply to Ty-loser. But there are entire threads devoted to that, so...

Can anyone verify whether G400 supports USWC, or even regular VRAM caching? That would be another troubleshooting step for folks.

- Slarty

------------------
                Portions of this message may have been Copyright 1999, Jorden van der Elst. All rights (and lefts) reserved.
                ------------------------
                Specs? You want specs? Yeah. Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart. Ya got that?! Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me...

Comment

My Super7 with following specs runs rock solid with these Award BIOS settings:

Graphics Aperture Size: 256
                  Frame Buffer Posted Write: Enabled
                  AGP Turbo Mode: Enabled
                  VGA BIOS Sequence: AGP/PCI

I've used the Registry Hack to force AGP2X and with some modifications to ALi AGP registry settings, my G400 OEM 16Mb runs solid at AGP2X at 112Mhz. PCIList 1.12, CPUID v2.6A and Sandra'99 shows AGP2X.

------------------
                  AsusP5A rev1007, K6-400 o/c to 448 (112*4), G400 OEM 16Mb AGP, IBM 16GP 8.4, Quantum ST 3.2A, Toshiba 32X CDROM, HP CDWriter 7570i, SBLive! Value, Intel EtherXpress Pro 100TX NIC, Motorola CableModem, RIC 17" Monitor, HP Deskjet 710C, Altec Lansing ACS45 & Cambridge PCWorks,

Comment

Here ya go. Slarty started a good thread, don't want to loose this one.

Paul
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Back to the top

Paul

Comment

up

Comment

Yes this one is a keeper, used it installing mine, have a Asus P2B.

I think I missed one tho.

Song - My VGA bios is set PCI/AGP, does it
                          make a difference like this or should
                          I change it to AGP/PCI?

Thanks,
                          DK

Comment

if you have an AGP card it should be AGP/PCI

Comment

Yes, it does make a difference. It will speed up your boot times, and help to eliminate confusion in the startup of your devices. This AGP/PCI setting means that your primary display is AGP, PCI/AGP means the PCI display adapter is primary.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                              X