New G400... Doesn't work, baby! Woo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New G400... Doesn't work, baby! Woo!

Well, I just received a brand spankin' new G400 via FedEx on my door today. Me, being excited, hurriedly ripped open the box and put it into my machine. Booted up, card detected, installed the drivers, seemed fine. Restart windows... 16 colours... "There is a problem with your display settings..." (you know the error). So, tried messing around with the drivers, to no avail. Reinstalling them didn't work. I've tried the drivers on the CD, and 5.13... same results. I thought it might have been some sort of device confliction, so I took out all my other PCI and ISA cards, restarted, and the same error popped up. Well, time to reinstall Windows.

I reinstall Windows... same error. Time to format?

I format my C: drive, do a clean install of Win98 SE, install the 5.13 drivers, AND IT GIVES ME THE SAME ERROR!!!!! So, I put my modem back in, and came crying to the good forum. Here's some system info:

Abit BH6 MB
    96 MB RAM
    Celeron 366 (no O/C)
    5.8 GB Maxtor HD
    17.2 GB Maxtor HD

Peripherals I removed:
    Sound Blaster Live! Value
    Realtek Fast SCSI Adapter
    Realtek LAN Card

Any help would be GREATLY GREATLY GREATLY appreciated...

Did you try to set your AGP aperture to 256?

Rags

Comment

Oh, did I ever. I tweaked those BIOS settings like there wasn't a tomorrow... to no avail... maybe there is no tomorrow...

Comment

Well then, lets start with your monitor. When you get this error message, I am assuming you can still get into windows. Go to powerdesk and select your monitor, then reboot. (double click the blue monitor in your systray, click advanced then click monitor settings and then click select customizations from the matrox list.)

Rags

Comment

Sounds like a good idea... except that I don't even get that crazy Powerdesk icon in the corner! Maybe that's part of the problem... but I've installed Powerdesk... this problem is driving me up the wall!

Comment

Did you go through the uninstall procedure for your previous cards drivers??? It could be remnants of older drivers causing the problem.
            Matrox has good instructions on their website for uninstalling older drivers and also has an uninstall utility for 5.xx drivers.

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Also try switching to a standard VGA adapter, run the uninstaller for the matrox drivers, reboot, then re-install the PD drivers.

Rags

Comment

Well, I did use the uninstaller utility to get rid of the old drivers. But, I shouldn't be having this problem after a clean install of Win98... there wasn't any previous drivers. Is it possible my card is defective?? Because that would be awful..

Comment

SockBoy, faulty hardware is very unusual, as each card is tested to some degree before it leaves the plant. Looking at the rest of your hardware, I think it's fair to rule out any hardware incompatibilities. That said, as you have evidently gone the clean install after a format, I can only point the finger at the driver install... did you run the exe or point windows at the drivers when it found new hardware?

Dave K
                  Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Yeah, driver installation is suspect, so try what I suggested in my previous post.

Comment

Well, I just tried putting the G400 into another computer, and it didn't work there, either... I've installed the drivers using the setup.exe file that came with them. When that didn't work, I tried just installing them the normal Update Driver way... neither worked. I'm beginning to think my new G400 doesn't like me. After I treated it so well... sigh.

Comment

Okay, do you have your monitor selected in windows? You should.

Rags

Comment

Yup, I do.

Funny thing:

I put my old Marvel G200 back in, booted up my computer, it detected it, restarted, and... what do you know... it works perfectly. So, I put my new Millenium back in, it detects it, restarts, hmmm, doesn't work. Sounds pretty defective to me.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what IRQ is being assigned to the G400? Is it sharing one with anything else? (I know you pulled all of the cards, but there are other things that can get in the way inadvertantly).

Rags

Comment

Well, my G400 has IRQ 11. It isn't conflicting with anything else, so that's cool. My G200 takes 11, too, and it works fine. Confusing stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X