not matrox related but help anyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not matrox related but help anyway

the people that frequent this board are some the most knowledgable i have found do any of you guys know a good program for utilizing two modems on two lines other than the windows 98 multilink and the diamond shotgun.

up

Comment

Win98 will multi-link any 2 modems. I run 2 USR internal 56k sportsters...and have tried with one USR and one CL modem blaster. No problems...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

thanks kruzz

can you tell a difference when multilinked in win98 my setup will tell me im connected at 100,000 but my ping is higher than it is single.but im running one usr 56k isa modem and one el-cheapo winmodem.but if youll tell me if there is an increase ill go buy me another isa 56k.do you think there are conflicts arising from the use of the winmodem and multilink.do you think that since the isa is not using the cpu that its waiting on the winmodem and srewing up pings under multilink.any comments or just plain old guesses are welcome before i go spend another $100

p.s.
        me and slurpdog could use some help defending
        the g400 on the sharky video card section.there is a guy who wants to know which card he should get.it never ceases to amaze me how people give their opinions on things they have no experiance with people cannot know how good the g400 looks unless they have one i guess

Comment

It's hard to say why you are getting higher pings. It could just be that DUN needs tweaking, or it could very well be the Winmodem mucking things up.

For lots of tips on tweaking USR modems, and DUN, look here:
          http://www.navpoint.com/~zephed/qx2.html

A couple quick tips would be to set your packet size to "small" in your network properties, and to find a good init string for your modems. I disable v.90, MNP5, and limit my connection to 48k (per modem).

Another thing to keep in mind, is that your ping time is not really going to improve. Yes, you are connected with 2 modems, but the max speed of each modem is still the same. The idea with multi-linking is to be able to get more info with multiple connections. Those connections are no faster than they where when it was a single connection. It's like a highway. The speed limit is the same, but a 2-lane road can handle more traffic than a one lane, even though the speed is the same. This makes downloads take 1/2 the time as one line, just because the volume (not speed) is doubled.

Where multi-linking helps with games is with the number of dropped packets. Since more can get through, fewer are dropped. It does make for smoother play, and enables you to raise your FPS limits, but your ping will be about the same (mine goes down about 15-25 with both lines hooked up).
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

thanks for the info i assumed much of that without really knowing such as the bandwidth vs actual speed.i supposed that would be the case and really what is the most annoying thing in multiplayer games besides losing in general,packet loss stopping you entirely.but my pings were actualy better with just the usr than with both.the string commands should help some too i have some for my usr but i need to find some on the cheapo.dr modem has them i guess.thanks for the info again there are few people i have found actually having to use the twin modem stuff.so must of what i thought was just guessing anyway.so i shouldnt expect radicaly lower pings but should not get higher ones either i guess ill go to best buy and get the better modem.the info on games fps and the link are highly helpful those are the kind of things i wanted to know.so even thought the connection is the same speed its bandwidth is double so you can consume more info allowing you to set the max fps higher and not drop packets as readily as before.i have the packet loss problem real bad on q3.

thanks again i know this really isnt the forum for this but you guys come off smarter than most

Comment

up

------------------
              and ty%&§!° went down again

Helmchen

Comment

up

Comment

Working...
                X