Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting started with G400

hi yellowjacket

the first thing to make sure you do is to thoroughly remove all traces of the tnt(i know from experiance)

make sure your card is assigned a irq when installed.(for busmastering purposes)

you can use the drivers of the disk to get started.remember to use the matrox driver unistaller before upgrading drivers(you really have to do this for best results)

you can adjust your agp aperture size after your up and running to attain the best results however 1/2 system ram is the best place to start with your new card for possible troubleshooting problems.i have experianced gains from lowering and raising agp sizes the 256 setting is worth a try on the abit boards.but only after you have installed and have a stable system running.

now as far as you mb,cpu and frontbus speed setting,you should have no problem with the 366 at 550.the agp divider on your board needs to be set to 2/3 then at 100 mhz front bus speed your back at the stock 66 mhz for your agp port.i run a abit bp6 with two celerons overclocked to 583 in duel mode and have no problems with the matrox g400.when i run my peltier for single operation at 610 it still has no problems.

overclocking can be accomplished with powerstrip if your brave (check into problems before using) or g200clk(readily avaliable at murc)

the matrox card comes with a nice dvd player

Hi,

Leave your aperture size to 64.

You should always get the latst drivers form the web page rather than those on the CD.

I would downclock the CPU before installing. Don't take chances. Be sure it's working fine before getting into this.

Ciao

Z

Comment

I would set the aperture to 256.

Rags

Comment

getting started with G400

I wasn't sure whether to include this in the "G400 tips" topic, or just have another entry point. I'm sure much of this is referenced elsewhere; just thought it would be nice to have a single point of reference for starting up a new G400.

I should have my vanilla G400 DH 32 Friday, and want to have all my ducks in a row before then.

I have an Abit BE6, Celeron 366@550, 128 MB PC100 ram, AudioPCI sound card. It has held a G200 and now holds a Diamond V770 Ultra (which I'm returning).

So ... I'd appreciate all (positive, meaning nothing from Tyloser) comments.

My current AGP aperture size is 64. Should I bump that to at least 128 (or higher) before installing the G400?

Is there any reason to downclock my CPU (FSB back to 66) before installing? I assume not.

I assume I should install the drivers which come on the CD, then check to see if they and the BIOS are the latest.

I don't have a DVD player, but would like to test the Dual Head pretty extensively.

Finally, I'd like to look into overclocking the G400, although I mostly play at 1024. What overclocking utility is used?

thanks,
        blind stupid devotee of Matrox products (just ask Tyloser, we must all be stupid, actually *enjoying* our cards and seeing them simply as fun)

Comment

up - posting to get rid of that POS our beloved pet tylau just did.

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 08-19-1999).]

Comment

Yellowjacket- I can't stress enough to make sure ALL the TNT2 fragments are out of your system BEFORE you install it. This is what I did and I have almost exactly the same setup but I went from a TNT to G400 without a single problem. 1st thing I did was downloaded the latest powerdesk/drivers and have them waiting and don't even mess with the ones on the disk you get, then the day before I got my G400 I switched my adapter to standard vga and went to start>run>type msinfo32 and pick display and just look at all the nvidia crap in there and probably G200 stuff also. I then wrote all those things down, ran a search and deleted everything that was obviously nvidia. Then I deleted nvidia from add/remove programs,your inf folder,and in the windows registry. Set your agp aperature at 64mb to start, drop in the card,install the drivers you downloaded,explore the cd and install the g400tech demo cause it's cool and if it's anything like mine you will be without any problems and you can just read about all the guys that are having problems. As far as your bios go, most likely your card will be 1.3-20 or newer and you shouldn't need to mess with it unless you run into trouble, then try adjusting the agp aperature 1st and go from there. Good luck and hope this helps. BTW powerstrip is now supporting the G400 and works well on my vanilla with a large pentium fan on the heatsink I get it to 205/154 rock stable.

------------------
            ASUS P2B(1010),P3 450,G400 vanilla DH,ASUS 50X,128mb PC100,Mitsumi CDR,Iomega Zip,IBM 10 HDD,SB Live,Win98
            Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

A few things I've run across:

The G400 does not like edge PCI interrupts enabled in the BIOS.

If you have any problems with soft reboot looping try a bios upgrade.

You pretty much a need a fresh install of windows to get the best performance out of the card.

Comment

Thanks so much, guys! Hopefully, my card will come in today (I'm at the office right now), and I can install that puppy tonight!

Really looking forward to it.

BTW, what are the latest drivers? I assume I should get them from the matrox site?

thanks again!

Comment

Matrox drivers come in 3 flavors with cryptic lables
                  1. WHQL Certified Drivers
                  2. Unified Drivers
                  3. Latest Drivers
                  Go to the Matrox site & you can's miss em.
                  chuck

------------------
                  (erstwhile cjolley) celery 333@500mz 2.2V, Abit BH6, 128meg@cas2 gh, 10gig IBM 7200rpm UltraStar, Princton EO75, SB Live Value, V3 2000 PCI (still waiting on my MAX!)

Comment

up

------------------
                    and ty%&§!° went down again

Helmchen

Comment

up

Comment

up
                        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                        X