Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX or G400 Vanilla?

Hey,

this question has probably be asked a ton of times but here I go. It's been 6 weeks since I ordered my MAX and it doesn't look like it will be here anytime soon. I can get ahold of the G400 32MB Dualhead. Which one should I go for. I have a PII 350 MHz 128 MB RAM MX300 Monster Sound blah blah blah.

Is it true that the MAX minimum system requirements are a P!!! 500? I am supposed to have the G400 MAX by 08/19 but that date has changed multiple times already (and no this isn't a pre-order from Matrox!)

Also, if I go for a G400 Vanilla, which is the best type of fan to use for dissipating the heat.

Thanks,

Sean

------------------
    PII 350 MHZ, 128 MB RAM blah blah blah
    Pentium III 500MHz, 128MB RAM ,10GB + 850 MB Driver, Samsung DVD, Diamond Monster Sound II, and of course a G400 32MB DH (O/C 200/150)
    blah blah blah

Now, who remembers the 'Shall I go for the Millennium G200, or the Mystique G200?' argument?

If you want the g400 now, obviously go for the normal one, and the OC it to near enough MAX speeds with relative ease. The fan you use can be anything, as long as it moves air across the heatsink! Sit there and blow on it if you wish! The RAMDAC is slighty higher on the G400MAX, but do you need it?
    Only thing against it, is the MAX can be OCed even higher. So, it's over to you - card NOW, or slightly more speed LATER?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

My PC? Not that bad, got all sorts of crap in it, and all sorts of crap around it and my desk is also messy. Now what does that say about me? ;¬)

Comment

OK, I can have a G400 now....or wait. Now about the system specs. Are these true?

------------------
      Pentium III 500MHz, 128MB RAM ,10GB + 850 MB Driver, Samsung DVD, Diamond Monster Sound II, and of course a G400 32MB DH (O/C 200/150)
      blah blah blah

Comment

I don't know how true the PIII 500 rumour is, but my G400 (normal @ MAX speeds) runs like a dream in my normal PII (@500mhz) and it did also in my celery (@450mhz).
        So I reckon that in your PII 350, it'll run fine, can anyone back me up?
        Also, as a bonus, it'll show its might when you come to upgrade in the future!

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

My PC? Not that bad, got all sorts of crap in it, and all sorts of crap around it and my desk is also messy. Now what does that say about me? ;¬)

Comment

OK, so you are running the normal G400 and it runs great. Why did you not wait for the MAX?
          blah blah blah

Comment

OK, so you're pretty new round these parts?

I'm one of those Beta Boiz you may have heard of, and got the G400 ages ago for, um, nothing...

Still, I wouldn't have waited for the MAX but got the normal one. Although I may have then sold it, and bought the MAX later. Like Manoj has - he's waiting for the MAX, and so has bought the normal,16mb, Single head one to tide him over.

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

Comment

gloating is not very becoming

Comment

Actually I'm a lurker and first time poster. I have actually been following this forum over the last 4 or 5 weeks. I have a lot of people telling me that the G400 isn't worth the wait BUT then they haven't read these forums and the problems they have seen have been fixed by suggestions in these forums.

I don't know if I should wait or go ahead and order.

I'm currently running with an ATI Xpert@PLAY 98 and a Voodoo 2 and it is OK but not for some of the games coming out and the DualHead feature of the G400 is just excellent for the DVD that I just got (as my daughter love's to watch A Bug's Life).....Hmmm so many choices so little patience..

------------------
                blah blah blah

Comment

Hi!

I actually bought the G400 16megs DualHead. I needed to test the DualHead that people were really talking a lot about. I am still waiting for my G400 Max. I will sell my 16megs version as soon as I get my MAX.

In any case if I were you I would do the same if you can sell your card later when the Max is ready to ship. What I have heard from my distributor that some Max cards will be shipped to Hong Kong by the end of August. So since I am the first on the list, I am guaranteed my card in the first shipment.

For now I am enjoying the G400 card. It is very very nice. The dual head is also very very good.

Go for it!

Regards,
                  Manoj Mahtani
                  Northwood 2.26ghz @ 3.0Ghz (air cooled!!)
                  Asus P4T533
                  512 megs PC 1066 - 32bit (Samsung)
                  Matrox Parhelia (Retail)
                  Seagate Cheetah 18Gigs 15K RPMs 8megs Cache SCSI (Drive C)
                  Maxtor 36Gigs 10K RPMs 8megs Cache SCSI (Drive D)
                  Adaptec 29160N SCSI Card
                  Aopen 56x CDROM
                  TDK 40x 12x 48x CDRW
                  SB Audigy Platinum EX
                  Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700
                  Samsung 22" SyncMaster 1200 NF (Flat Screen CRT Monitor)
                  Lian-Li PC 70 Full Tower Case (7 fans in the case)
                  Enermax 650W power supply Microsoft Office Keyboard
                  Logitech Dual optical mouse
                  Microsoft Windows XP
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consoles: Dreamcast, Playstation 2, XBox, Panasonic GameCube (DVD & VCD support)
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

OK, so If I go for the G400 what will pull me to selling it and buying a MAX? I think the jump in performance over my Voodoo 2 setup will be enough. But will the jump in performance from a G400 to a G400 MAX be better? I've read the reviews that say it can be up to 30% increase in performance with the MAX but it depends on the processor.

Hey, anyone know if the G400 will work with the new Amiga (just kidding!)

------------------
                    blah blah blah

Comment

have you looked at the MURC comparison of a vanilla G400 vs. a MAX at http://www.murc.ws/reviews/Millenniu...0Review01.html ? they seem to scale about the same until ~1024x768, then the MAX leaps ahead. I don't know whether an overclocked G400 scales as well after 1024, the faster memory of the MAX may have an affect there.

Comment

up.

Comment

back on top ... fukking DF31 & loserants

------------------
                          Cheerio,
                          Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB - Bios 1009 final
                          Celeron300A @ 504Mhz
                          128MB 7ns SDRAM
                          G400 DualHead 32MB SGRAM @ 201 MHz memory clock
                          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                          LG BH10LS38
                          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

up

------------------
                            and ty%&§!° went down again

Helmchen

Comment

Working...
                            X