Splitting video clips in Avid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting video clips in Avid

I recently bought the G400 TV to edit a big batch of home videos that have built up over the years. I tried out the version of Avid that is bundled with the card and it seems to work very well for my modest needs except for this problem:

If I split a recorded clip, I can not give each one a separate name. What I want to do is to simply record in a big long clip, split it up and then mix and alter the chopped up pieces.

I am using it on a 600 MHz Pentium III with a 20 GB disk and performance of the G400 TV and Avid are excellent.

It's been a long time since I used Avid, but I think you can slice and dice your clip inside of Avid all you like. You would make copies of the clip within the timeline (these are just pointers to the single big clip on disk), and chop off the pieces you don't need for that section.

If Avid doesn't support this, you can get a copy of MSP super cheap these days at Egghead. MSP is a spectacular value for the money.

-Anthony
    Anthony
    • Slot 1 Celeron 400, Asus P2B, 256MB PC-100
    • AGP Marvel-TV 8MB NTSC
    • Turtle Beach Montego PCI sound card
    • C: IBM 10.1, 5400, Primary on 1, System, Swap, Software
    • D: IBM 13.5, 5400, Primary on 2, Dedicated to video
    • E: Memorex 48x CD, Secondary on 1
    • F: Yamaha CD-RW 2x2x8, Secondary on 2
    • Win98, FAT32 on C: & D:
    • MediaStudio Pro 5.2

Comment

RXA,

You can easily split the clip into multiples using Avid. Having split them, you can then resize each of them by grabbing the "handle" on each side of the sub-clip to trim off frames from either end. They can be reorganised simply by dragging the clip to a new location on the timeline.

But as far as I know you can't save each new clip under a new identity. Saving the project will allow you to come back to it at a later date with all the chnges that you have made intact.

Maybe we can help out further if you tell us exactly what you are trying to do

Comment

Working...
      X