No announcement yet.

The MAX CAN do dynamic lighting right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The MAX CAN do dynamic lighting right?

Hi there!

I just downloaded q3test v 1.08 but it was not a very pleasant experience. Every time I turned dynamic lighting on whenever i shooted with a weapon various artifacts and distorted textures would appear! This is very weird. I mean dynamic lighting is a very common 3d feature. Do you think this could be a bug in q3test? do you experience similar problems??

Thanks...

(BTW i got the MAX last week and it rocks... the benchmarks are not very high but who cares? motorhead looks soooooo good in 1600x1200 :-) Well ok higher 3dmark scores would make me happy though i admit it :-) )
    PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Hi,

What res and color palette are you using? i am not getting bad artifacts on mine...

Ciao

Z

Comment

SOrry, forgot to include system specs with this one...

[This message has been edited by GD (edited 08-18-1999).]
      PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

Hi!

I tried 800x600 with various combinations...
        The amount of artifacts varied i think but it was really visible with all the details cranked up, 32 bit texture quality and colour depth ...

I didn't have the time to test it thoroughly but I'm 100% sure that the reason for this is the dynamic lighting being enabled. I tried it many times and the result was always the same... Didn't try other res though....

the signature is wrong i haven't updated it... i'm a proud owner of a max currently.. :-)

------------------
        System: PII450,128MB PC-100 ECC Viking,AMI MegaRUMII with embedded DUAL symbios Ultra2Wide Controller, SCSI Seagate Cheetah 10000rpm HD,Terratec EWS64XL soundcard, PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower and Turbo cool 300ATX power suply, G200 temporarily (waiting for me MAX ),Hitachi 4x DVD,LS-120 drive by panasonic.

[This message has been edited by GD (edited 08-18-1999).]

Comment

For your infomation, GLQuakeWorld has been doing rainbow colored textures since ICDb2 (on G200) if dynamic lighting is enabled. If the problem isn't in your configuration, then it seems that the bug is moving to Q3, which is good, because it will get fixed much faster than if it only did show up with GLQW.

-Tumu, there is no TF like Q1TF.

------------------
          Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset Mobo (bios v3.2),
          64MB PC100 RAM, G200 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, a 486 fan included, bios v2.3), Win95OSR2.1 finnish, PD5.13.020, SB16 Value

Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
          64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
          Win98 finnish

Comment

GlQuake has nothing to do with this because it's methods of producing dynamic lighting is totally different. You know it uses 8bit textures..

B

Comment

I take it by saying "various combinations" you've tried running Q3A in 16bit colour? 32bit colour doesn't even work with my G400 (Q3A only). It splits my screen down the middle and displays only pink and blue. Reminds me of the good old CGA days! I read at this forum that it is a bug with current drivers when using 32bit colour depth with Q3 and that it HAS already been fixed, and will be made available in the next driver release. So if you haven't already, try using 16bit colour depth and see if they are still there.

Clint

[This message has been edited by CBW (edited 08-19-1999).]

Comment

Hi!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I don't remember if the problem resisted in 16 bit colour (although I think it did).
                The problem you are describing (split screen) anyway doesn't appear in the latest q3test which is 1.08 (at least this is what id claims and my experience with the game confirms it) and happens whenever you switch colour depths without restarting the game... Anyway I will do some more testing today but I'm 100% sure that the problem (rainbow textures) appears whenever dynamic lighting is on...
                BTW I will format my drive as soon as I can because I really need to get better performance (I get 3757 3Dmarks with a max @ 800x600 grrr).

Lol about that cga thing :-) I was very young (I'm 15 right now) when i used such hardware but i remember I used a utility named vgamode whenever i wanted to run Titus the fox (which was btw one of the best games i've ever played) :-)

Comment

GD,
                  Congrats! I think 15 would make you the youngest known MURCer. Ask Steve.
                  chuck

------------------
                  (erstwhile cjolley) celery 333@500mz 2.2V, Abit BH6, 128meg@cas2 gh, 10gig IBM 7200rpm UltraStar, Princton EO75, SB Live Value, V3 2000 PCI (still waiting on my MAX!)

Comment

Hi Tumu,

To correct your bugs in GLQuake, You need to delete in your Quake folder the subdirectory called GLQUAKE. Also delete the GLQUAKE directory in the folder ID1. If you are playing any mods such as team fortress you will need to delete the GL QUAKE folder located in that mod directory... So basicaly hunt down and delete all GLQUAKE folders so that all the textures may be "remeshed".

Ciao

Z

Comment

ROTFLOL chuck :-)

ARGGHHHH!!
                      IHIWIHFAPAIINTTND which means:

IHateItWhenIHaveFoundAProblemAndItIsNotThereTheNex tDay

Dynamic Lighting has no effect on the textures now...grrr

I normally should be happy but such behaviour is getting on me nerves!

Well I might have more time to find ways to get more 3Dmarks :-)

cya and thanx :-)

Comment

Hey GD! Thanks, I didn't think to restart Q3A after changing to 32bit. Works fine now! Thankyou!

Clint

Comment

Zwisch, umm, those GLQUAKE-dirs are for the 3D entity models, not for textures. I have deleted them n+1 times, but still dynamic lights give rainbows in GLQW (both in normal DM and TF). The only solution for now is to turn off the lights by using r_dynamic 0 console command. ICDb1 and the current NT OGL ICD doesn't have any problems with dynamic lights.

-Tumu

------------------
                          Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset Mobo (bios v3.2),
                          64MB PC100 RAM, G200 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, a 486 fan included, bios v2.3), Win95OSR2.1 finnish, PD5.13.020, SB16 Value

Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
                          64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
                          Win98 finnish

Comment

top....

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve

My PC houses one of these things which seems to affect some people's lives far too much...

Comment

Working...
                            X