X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workstation vs. server

hi guys

can you help me with a few questions?

First question is, which one will run faster in general use, and in a dual cpu setup? Does server actually manage your ram and dual chip better than workstation would?

Also, does pc-vcr work in server? I know some programs are different for server and workstation, just wondering if this was the case for the marvel drivers.

thanks
    frankie

------------------
    why do girls get jealous of computers?

Hi Frankie,

Over at www.sysinternals.com, they have an article describing the differences between NT 4.0 Server vs. Workstation. Basically, they claim that the two OS's are identical except for a couple of registry settings which determine whether it will run in Server mode or Workstation mode.

Supposedly, in Server mode, it does optimize things differently so that it will perform better as a server as opposed to an interactive workstation. Based on this, I would think NT Workstation would perform better as an interactive workstation, which is how you would most likely be using your system.

I'm really not an expert on NT, but I have read quite a bit about it, and I have never heard anyone say that NT Server would give you better performance for video editing work.

Rick
    http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

thanks for the info

frankie

Comment

Working...
      X