Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rainbow Runner, Rainbow Runner G - which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainbow Runner, Rainbow Runner G - which?

So I've got a G400 MAX, a G200 AGP, and three PCI Millennium II's (4MB).

What is the difference between the add-on Rainbow Runner cards? I see there are different ones for the G-series of Millenniums, and Rainbow Runner cards for the MII and Mystique.

- What can the new cards do that the older ones can't?

- I take it the G cards won't work with the older Millennium II and vice versa. Is this so?

Reason I'm asking is because the Rainbow Runner, Millennium II edition, is a mere $99, while the G-series is $149, and seems to be hard to get.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

------------------
    Primary System: PIII-540 (450@4.5x120), Soyo 6BA+ III, 4x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, G400 MAX in multi-monitor mode. V2 SLI rig. Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors, 3Com 3C905, SoundBlaster Live!, DeskTop Theater DTT2500 DIGITAL Speaker System (Sweeeeeet!), WD AC41800 18GB HD, WD AC310100 10GB HD, Toshiba SD-M1212 6x DVD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Epson Stylus Pro, OptiUPS PowerES 650, MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB joystick, Logitech 3-button mouse, Mitsumi keyboard, Win98 SE, Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM, 10/100 5-port Linksys Ethernet switch (30~40MB/min under Win98SE), Epson 1200u scanner.

Secondary System: PII-266, Asus P2B BIOS 1008, 1x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, Millennium II, 3Com 3C590, ADSL Modem 640kbit down/90kbit up, 3Com 3C509, Mylex BT-930 SCSI card, Seagate 2GB Hawk, NEC 6x CD-ROM, Linux distro S.u.S.E. 6.1 (IP Masquerade works!), Sharp JX-9400 LJ-II compatible

Tertiary System: DFI G568IPC Intel 430HX chipset, P200MMX, 4x64MB EDO Parity RAM, Millennium II, Intel Pro/100+ client NIC, SoundBlaster 16 MCD, Fujitsu 3.5GB HD, WD 1.2GB HD, Creative Dxr3 DVD decoder card, Hitachi GD-2500 6x DVD-ROM, Win98 SE

All specs subject to change.

The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
    The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
    The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

That's right, the Rainbow Runner G will only work with the G200 or G400 cards. The RRStudio will work with a Millennium II and a Mystique (different version of the RRStudio).

Comment

Don't forget:

RR-S (for Mystique and Mill II) has video in AND out, but no tuner. (The tuner is an addon ISA card.) It's a daughterboard that clips nicely on to your MGA graphics card and prevents you from using memory upgrades.

The RR-G is a PCI card with two ribbon cables that connect to your G100/G200/G400. It has a built in tuner, but no video-out capabilities. It's just for capture and editing. You have to either have a Mystique G200 or a tv-out addon to actually save to video.

Rather frustrating combinations of options, eh?

-Chris

Comment

So if I get a RR-G, and use my MAX, I should be able to output using the video out of the second head, or no?

I'm thinking ahead to when I retire my G400 MAX in favor of a Voodoo5-6000 :-)

The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
        The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
        The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Working...
        X