Memory chips on G400 vs G400Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory chips on G400 vs G400Max

I just received my G400 and have not been able to try it out yet but I did have a look at the memory chips used. I was pleased to see that it is loaded with Samsung part #:
    KM4132G112Q-5.

I looked up this part and it is 5ns memory rated for up to 200Mhz. I figured this was only going to be used on the Max. Can someone with a Max tell me if this is also what is used?

I am now really curious just what the real differences are between the vanilla and the Max boards. Is the only difference a faster rated (tested) G400 or are there other upgraded parts? Maybe they just make them all the same, test them, and take the ones that pass the MAX tests and put a fan on it to be sold as a MAX.

Any info?

------------------
    -Joe

PIII-450, Abit BH6-KG, Mystique-G200, 192MRam, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 18ES SCSI HD, Plextor SCSI CD-ROM, HP7110 Burner, ADSL, HP PhotoSmart scanner, blah blah blah

[This message has been edited by Cabo_Wabo (edited 08-16-1999).]

You may have a Max that didn't quite meet all the requirements for a Max. Normally the plain G400 has 6ns memory.

What is the Ramdac Speed on the Information page in Powerdesk???

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Also look to see if it has a fan connector. If there is a white plastic connector there (in addition to the 5ns RAM), it was gonna be a MAX, but was packaged as a regular instead...because of the RAM, I would guess that is the case here...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yes, my card has a fan connector. Now I am really curious. The one question that I still have that nobody has answered is:
        Does a MAX have a different G400 chip than a vanilla G400 card? Do they produce one chip that gets tested and if it passes becomes the MAX version? This is basically what CPU and some memory manufacturers do. Or is there a different etch of silicon for G400 MAX?

Anyway I feel really fortunate to have the fast memory. Even though I do not normally overclock my video card it feels good to know I have the good stuff for no extra cost.

------------------
        -Joe

PIII-450, Abit BH6-KG, Mystique-G200, 192MRam, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 18ES SCSI HD, Plextor SCSI CD-ROM, HP7110 Burner, ADSL, HP PhotoSmart scanner, blah blah blah

Comment

Hi,

I indeed heard that some of the G400 had better parts, just like a G400... Just smile and say Thanks you! you will probably be able to overclock the card higher than other G400!

Ciao

Ben

Comment

So cabo, what speed does your Ramdac show is it greater than 300???

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

ALPBM: one would assume 360mhz. Speed binning generally takes place by the chip manufacturer, not after they are already attached to a card. Very odd. Matrox can lose some cash on the 5ns memory

Comment

I believe the ramdac on the G400 is integrated, not a separate unit. Therefore, it's speed is determined in the firmware, not the hardware.

Rags

Comment

Hi,

They might lose money with these "powered" G400, but probably less than not selling them at all because they couldn't put them out on the market for shortage on the 6ns memory... but then again, it might also be simply a mistake!! In both case, you made quite a nice deal!

Comment

There is a chance that his chip didn't clock at 360 but somewhere between 300 and 360. So cabo may have a slightly faster ramdac as well as the 5ns memory.

Paul

Comment

Well I am on my way home right now to put the card into my system. I have to go through the flamenco dance of uninstall, switch to VGA, card in, driver install, etc. but I will have an answer in a few hours.

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning, joy joy joy!

------------------
                      -Joe

Comment

Ok,

I put the G400 in my system and its up and running well. I checked the info panel and it says that the RAMDAC is 300Mhz. I must say that when I played Half-Life it was incredible. 1024x768 and it was almost too fast. I have to turn down my mouse sensitivity now because I can just fly around the place. Good job Matrox.

Now all I need is a DVD drive. Cha-Ching...

------------------
                        -Joe

Comment

impressive x)

Comment

Working...
                          X