Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with my G400 16megs Dual Head (Can someone help?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with my G400 16megs Dual Head (Can someone help?)

Hi!

I had some problems with the G400 card today.

I just wanted to see if anyone can help me.

1) My monitor was not detect as a Plug and Play monitor but a "Default Monitor".
    Why? I have a 17" Generic Montitor with uses the Mitshibushi Diamondtron Tube and it is plug and play.

2) My highest refresh rate is only 85Mhz but I could go higher with my previous card.

3) Tech Demo screens were very corrupt. It was horrible. Why? I ran expendable and it was fine but the Tech Demo was not running well. I could even read the menu.

I am not overclocking the G400 because I don't want to remove the heatsink as I will be selling this card as soon as I get the Max.

My system is running at 124 FSB speed. Is this the problem?

Regards,
    Manoj Mahtani

Northwood 2.26ghz @ 3.0Ghz (air cooled!!)
    Asus P4T533
    512 megs PC 1066 - 32bit (Samsung)
    Matrox Parhelia (Retail)
    Seagate Cheetah 18Gigs 15K RPMs 8megs Cache SCSI (Drive C)
    Maxtor 36Gigs 10K RPMs 8megs Cache SCSI (Drive D)
    Adaptec 29160N SCSI Card
    Aopen 56x CDROM
    TDK 40x 12x 48x CDRW
    SB Audigy Platinum EX
    Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700
    Samsung 22" SyncMaster 1200 NF (Flat Screen CRT Monitor)
    Lian-Li PC 70 Full Tower Case (7 fans in the case)
    Enermax 650W power supply Microsoft Office Keyboard
    Logitech Dual optical mouse
    Microsoft Windows XP
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consoles: Dreamcast, Playstation 2, XBox, Panasonic GameCube (DVD & VCD support)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok! I finally understood. THe TechDemo is not corrupted. The menu has a very funny design which makes it look like it is corrupted. The demo ran beautifully. Wow! G400 display such eye candy graphics.

I was worried since I couldn't read the instructions for the tech demo. When I increased the resolution by pression F8, it was perfect.

So no problems with the tech demo.

I just want to confirm what is the latest bios for the G400 16 megs dual head. I ran the unibios program in Dos and it updated the bios automatically. THere were many Bin files and I don't know which one was selected since it was done automatically. Is this how it works?

Regards,
    Manoj Mahtani
    Asus P4T533
    Matrox Parhelia (Retail)
    Adaptec 29160N SCSI Card
    Aopen 56x CDROM
    TDK 40x 12x 48x CDRW
    SB Audigy Platinum EX
    Microsoft Windows XP

Consoles: Dreamcast, Playstation 2, XBox, Panasonic GameCube (DVD & VCD support)

Comment

OK....

1) You can switch to whatever monitor you want. Just go to Disply Properties > Settings > Advanced > Monitor, and click the "Change" button. If your monitor isn't listed, you can select a Standard type. You can also go to Disply Properties > Settings > Advanced > Monitor Settings(different tab), and "Select customizations from the Matrox list" for more monitors to choose from (including some better standard types than listed in the firt tab).

2) See Maniac's 85Hz thread for how to tweak your refresh rates.
      http://forums.gagames.com/forums/For...ML/002800.html

3) Ya already figured that one out

4) Why would you remove the heatsink to overclock the card? That's going in the wrong direction You want to ADD cooling, not take it away. Just screw an old 486 or pentium fan into the fins of that heatsink. This is a good idea even if you're not going to o/c it. The G400s run quite warm, and several ppl have had overheating problems at non-o/c speeds...

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 08-14-1999).]
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I can answer your refresh rate question. 85 is the highest option you're given by powerdesk for any monitor. You can however go higher and select a custom refresh rate, by selecting adjust the current diplay mode in the monitor settings tab...
        Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

How are you liking your card, Manoj?

Rags

Comment

Well, let me put it this way.

I had a party in my place last night and my friends asked me to show them some games that I had. I asked them to take a look at the G400's techdemo. I demonstarted the bump mapping and they were all surprised.

I then demonstarted expendable and it was great.

As for myself I really like this card. How I would like to get the G400 Max now!! But then I have the G400 16megs DH to play with now.

I have dualhead now and I removed my Creative DVD decoder and thus my case temperature went down even more. From 32 degrees to 29 degrees. I just have to figure out how to get AC-3 playing using SB LIve (with Digital I/O card) and my Desktop Theatre 5.1

This card is the best anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
            Manoj Mahtani
            Asus P4T533
            Matrox Parhelia (Retail)
            Adaptec 29160N SCSI Card
            Aopen 56x CDROM
            TDK 40x 12x 48x CDRW
            SB Audigy Platinum EX
            Microsoft Windows XP

Comment

Working...
            X