Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G400 Lockups at 124 FSB? (Can someone confirm this?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Lockups at 124 FSB? (Can someone confirm this?)

Hi!

I have a Pentium III 450 overclocked to 558Mhz. Thus I am running my system at 124FSB.

I had several system lockups when playing games.

When I switched back to the default 450 speed, the lock ups go away.

SO is it true that the G400 doesn't work well at 124 FSB? Or is it because of heat and that I need to install a fan or something?

Regards,
    Manoj Mahtani

Northwood 2.26ghz @ 3.0Ghz (air cooled!!)
    Asus P4T533
    512 megs PC 1066 - 32bit (Samsung)
    Matrox Parhelia (Retail)
    Seagate Cheetah 18Gigs 15K RPMs 8megs Cache SCSI (Drive C)
    Maxtor 36Gigs 10K RPMs 8megs Cache SCSI (Drive D)
    Adaptec 29160N SCSI Card
    Aopen 56x CDROM
    TDK 40x 12x 48x CDRW
    SB Audigy Platinum EX
    Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700
    Samsung 22" SyncMaster 1200 NF (Flat Screen CRT Monitor)
    Lian-Li PC 70 Full Tower Case (7 fans in the case)
    Enermax 650W power supply Microsoft Office Keyboard
    Logitech Dual optical mouse
    Microsoft Windows XP
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consoles: Dreamcast, Playstation 2, XBox, Panasonic GameCube (DVD & VCD support)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody can guarantee 124 MHz, if it works you're lucky. Many people are lucky though. Try a fan.
    P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

I got the same problem as yours if I set the AGP to x2. Everything is OK at AGP X1. I had tried 2 MOBO and got the same problem. One is MS6163 and the other one is Abit BE6.

Comment

I got the same problem as yours if I set the AGP to x2. Everything is OK at AGP X1. I had tried 2 MOBO and got the same problem. One is MS6163 and the other one is Abit BE6.

Comment

Might be because of your memory too or other cards....

Comment

This is where I would apply common sense. Oh dear the system isn't stable at 124 right I'll clock it back a bit. If you leave it you're likely to blow something up. Certainly I would suggest you nead extra cooling even then it could be something else in your system throwing a wobbler.
            God damn the server ate my username

Comment

One way to check if it's the AGP speed that's the problem is to underclock your fsb to 83MHz and set the AGP divider to 1/1, which would give you the same AGP speed as 124 with a 2/3 divider. If that isn't it and the system works at 124 with another graphics card, I'd look into some additional cooling.

This is something I miss in most reviews. It'd be nice to know what kind of AGP bus speeds different cards can run at. Usually reviewers check how high the core/memory can be clocked so obviously they cater to overclockers, but I don't think I've ever seen this anywhere.

Comment

It's more likely that it's the RAM or a PCI card that can't handle the 124 FSB. I've chatted with several people who are running 124FSB no problem. Personally I can't, but I beleive it's because of my cheap(ish) PC100 RAM...

I also experienced a problem with my old Dxr2 PCI DVD devoder a while back. The system would not run over 112 at all with that card in there...
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hi Manoj,

Your going to have to give us more info on your system. Motherboard, voltage, memory type , etc..

I've been running at 124MHz with both the plain G400 and now the G400 MAX. Both these cards handle this bus speed just fine but it certainly helps to have some extra fans when overclocking. I have also been able to overclock both G400 and G400 MAX at 558MHZ (124 1/4), AGP 2/3, 2.3 Volts without problems.

Paul

------------------
                  P3-558(124x4.5), ABIT BX6 r2, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, ABIT Hot Rod Controller, IBM Deskstar 18GB ATA/66, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW, SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext) WN98
                  and a (Very Messy Desk) ;-P

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hi guys!

You see I used to have a Banshee card which handled the 124FSB and my friend brought in his Voodoo3 for testing today and it worked with the 124 FSB no problems.

I have an Abit BE6 (this might be the problem) with 128megs PC-133 Rams.

Now I only have the G400 16megs Dual Head in my AGP (of course)

PCI Slot 1 - Super Slot Fan (for cooling the G400)
                    PCI SLot 2 - Creative Sound Blaster Live!
                    PCI Slot 3 - empty because it shares the same irq as the Ultra 66 which is on board the BE6
                    PCI Slot 4 - 3COM Network card
                    PCI Slot 5 - empty

So my 3Com network card and my USB are sharing the same irq but I don't think this would be the reason why my games are hanging up or is it because of this?

My printer and my gamepad are using the USB.

My system is running now at 450 mhz (default) but I miss the speed I was getting previously when I was running at 558Mhz!

Today I returned the G400 16megs and got a new piece (kind guy).

I want to know what is the latest Bios for the G400 16megs DualHead and how to update the Bios. Also what is the latest Drivers.

May be when I updated the bios before I did something wrong. I created an emergency disk like the program suggested and then the bios was updated automatically. There were about 4 bin files but I don't know which one was used.

Can someone guide me.

Regards,
                    Manoj Mahtani
                    Asus P4T533
                    Matrox Parhelia (Retail)
                    Adaptec 29160N SCSI Card
                    Aopen 56x CDROM
                    TDK 40x 12x 48x CDRW
                    SB Audigy Platinum EX
                    Microsoft Windows XP

Consoles: Dreamcast, Playstation 2, XBox, Panasonic GameCube (DVD & VCD support)

Comment

Hey Manoj,
                      What is your voltage setting???

Paul
                      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I can go up to 558Mhz at default 2.0V.

But the Hardware doctor that was bundled with my BE6 reads it as 1.98V or 2.0V

Regards,
                        Manoj Mahtani
                        Asus P4T533
                        Matrox Parhelia (Retail)
                        Adaptec 29160N SCSI Card
                        Aopen 56x CDROM
                        TDK 40x 12x 48x CDRW
                        SB Audigy Platinum EX
                        Microsoft Windows XP

Comment

Hi Manoj,

There are several things that can cause lockups at this FSB. Just because you had a 3dfx card that would run the system stable, does not mean it is the new card's fault your system won't go at this speed. First thing to try is to cool your card, and increase your CAS latency to 3 in your bios. If you still get lockups then you might want to increase the voltage on your cpu (Yes, it is still possible that your cpu is giving errors, that maybe your 3dfx cards were oblivious to that G400 can't stand), a voltage bump can work wonders. Still get Lock-ups? bump up the L2 cache latency in your bios up to about 8. Still having problems, lower your FSB (hey you got a million to choose from between 100 and 133, why not pick and choose and see which one gives you the best results). Hope to hear how it turns out.

Rags

Comment

Manjo .. if u already doesn't know .. the voodoo's doesn't do AGP .. i.e. they work in AGP just like a fast PCI card .. but no AGP texturing or AGP DIME .. so they were happy at that speed .. while the Matrox usually have good AGP implimentation .. which means AGP 2x DIME .. so u should try AGP 1x instead of 2x and tel us what happens ..

------------------
                            GigaByte 6BXE, celeron 300A@464, 128 PC100 RAM,
                            G200 8 M SD @112.5 core. driver 5.13, bios 1.6.

GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

how do you change from AGP 2X to AGP 1X?

Regards,
                              Manoj Mahtani
                              Asus P4T533
                              Matrox Parhelia (Retail)
                              Adaptec 29160N SCSI Card
                              Aopen 56x CDROM
                              TDK 40x 12x 48x CDRW
                              SB Audigy Platinum EX
                              Microsoft Windows XP

Comment

Working...
                              X