New G400 blues......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New G400 blues......

Got my G400, took out old drivers as per Matrox web site, took out G200 (which was working great btw), installed G400 and new drivers off CDROM (rev10) my display was trashed, horizontal lines, cursor blots out, dots, etc... then machine locks up and needs hardware reset? Tried updating the drivers (rev 13 and then 15) helped some. Now I can at least see 2D but as soon as I try 3D same, same? Games lock up, techdemo won't run, benchmarking (Wintune 98 & 3D MarkPro) cause same sort of lockup? Put G200 back in and no problems! Any thoughts before I send the card back? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Three (edited 08-16-1999).]

How about machine specs?
    God damn the server ate my username

Comment

Hi,

Get 5.XX reg hacks and force AGP 1X... it worked for me , but my PCIlist still shows AGP 2X, go figure...

Andrew

Comment

How about video aperature size in BIOS. Try it at 128 or 256?

Comment

Also, try running with busmastering disabled. It will be dead slow, but if it gets you running 3D it might be an indication.
          P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Another thing to try is turning off DDC/Plug-n-plague Monitor.

The G400 is sensitive to &quot;bad&quot; DDC as seen in other thread and reproduced by Haig and his Beta&nbsp;Team<sup>tm</sup>.

JamesA.

------------------
            System Hardware:
            www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~ang/demerzel.html

<b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

Comment

Machine is a PII 450, 128Mb SDRAM, Asus P2B rev 1010 motherboard and 2 x Quantum 6.4Gb HD. Other hardware installed is HP 8100 CDRW, HP T3000 tape, Creative labs 64PCI, Intel PCI NIC, HP Scanner (USB) and Creative Labs WebCam II (USB). Monitor is a ViewSonic G773. Windows 98 SE installed and reports no errors or conflicts in hardware. Hope that helps!

------------------
              Asus P2B rev1010, PII450, 128Mb SDRAM, G400

[This message has been edited by Three (edited 08-16-1999).]

Comment

Tried the following with no success, registry hacks, video aperature was 128 with USCW enabled in BIOS - set to 64 and 256 - USCW both on & off, and disabled busmastering. Tried turning off PNP with limited success. For example 3DMarkPro will now run demo, benchmarks still crash - runs the race, first person shooter, CPU 3D, fill rate, and textures at 2,4,8 Mb but locks up machine at either 16 or 32 Mb. Wintune 98 runs 2D, D3D windowed and Open GL (with some screen distortions during test phase) but locks up on D3D Null or primary? Games (Heavy Gear 2 and Warcraft) will load and run with what looks like interlacing problems about 2 out of 5 attempts. The other 3 times the machine locks up. Checked with Vendor that sold the card, they wanted to know if system was being overclocked (no) or if there was anything in the slot adjacent the AGP connector (no) they recommended a complete re-install of Windows 98? Help!!!

------------------

Comment

Three,

I have an ASUS P2B-LS with a G400 16MB OEM, and I believe the P2B series AGP slot shares an IRQ with slot 1 (above ISA), not slot 4 (below AGP), but the P2B could be different.

Anyway, I have read some post's about the Creative Luncher and Play Center causing problems, though I never had any. Mine do not auto load anyway as I don't like alot of things running in background anyway.

I share an IRQ with the SB Live card (PCI slot 1) with no ill effects. Have tried with sound card removed to give G400 seperate IRQ with no advantage in frame rates or 3D Mark. But if you are sharing an IRQ with you video card, it's worth moving cards around to give it a seperate IRQ.

Is your memory setting in BIOS by SPD or have you tweaked it some?

SCompRacer1

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer1 (edited 08-16-1999).]

Comment

Hi PIT2, IRQ 5 (SB PCI64) shared with Intel 82371 AB/EB PCI to USB host and IRQ 10 (G400) is shared with IRQ holder for PCI steering. Background tasks include Task scheduler, SB PCI64 mixer, Seti@home client (tried this enabled and disabled with no difference) QuickDesk and Adaptec DirectCD.

------------------

Comment

Maybe try using the Matrox PD5 uninstaller to get rid of all the drivers and then re-install the drivers again??? Maybe there are still some remnants of the G200 drivers??

Pretty much a guess...

Paul
                      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Well those irqs look fine. Try uninstalling the powerdesk with the uninstaller. If that doesn't work try forcing agp x1 in the registry and see what happens.

Comment

HI man,

I hate to say this but....i had the SAME problem...i would boot up and get these lines and graphic distortions at desktop and it would crash in the demo and any game i would run. I hate to say this (again) but i had to do a C:format (completly erase everything) and install win98....then install the G400 1st. Now it runs flawlessly...i dont know what the problem was but im just hapy it works. I was on the verge of returning the card...but i am glad i didnt...this card id great.

C366 128 mb PC100 sdram 8.4 gig HDD MX300 Ethernet PCI card for cable modem 17" CRT monitor and a SH G400 32

CoolBreeze aka KAST
                          P3 500(not overclocked)
                          128 MB PC100 SDRAM
                          SE440BX-2 Motherboard by Intel
                          Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
                          Diamond MX300 Sound Card
                          AOpen 40x CD ROM
                          Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
                          Motorola Cable Modem
                          Matrox G400 32 OEM Single Head @150
                          17" CRT Monitor
                          Altec Lansing 2 Speakers and Sub

----CoolBreeze aka KAST----

Comment

HI man,

I hate to say this but....i had the SAME problem...i would boot up and get these lines and graphic distortions at desktop and it would crash in the demo and any game i would run. I hate to say this (again) but i had to do a C:format (completly erase everything) and install win98....then install the G400 1st. Now it runs flawlessly...i dont know what the problem was but im just hapy it works. I was on the verge of returning the card...but i am glad i didnt...this card id great.

C366 128 mb PC100 sdram 8.4 gig HDD MX300 Ethernet PCI card for cable modem 17" CRT monitor and a SH G400 32 SE440BX-2 mobo

CoolBreeze aka KAST
                            P3 500(not overclocked)
                            128 MB PC100 SDRAM
                            SE440BX-2 Motherboard by Intel
                            Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
                            Diamond MX300 Sound Card
                            AOpen 40x CD ROM
                            Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
                            Motorola Cable Modem
                            Matrox G400 32 OEM Single Head @150
                            17" CRT Monitor
                            Altec Lansing 2 Speakers and Sub

----CoolBreeze aka KAST----

Comment

You maybe forced yet to do a full re-install.
                              However check for IRQ sharing. If these appear to be okay then try removing everything and see what happens. If it then runs add things back one by one. It's also worth checking what you've got running in the back ground and disabling a few of these.

Comment

Working...
                              X