Millenium G400 Max and 3dsMax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millenium G400 Max and 3dsMax

Anyone using this card with 3dsMax successfully? If so, what version of Max?
    Do earlier versions of Max run with it?

Does anyone really hate it for 3ds?

Thanks ahead
    Tony Maloof

I have 3D Studio MAX 2.5 and 3.0 For some reason the G400 OpenGL doesn't seem to initialize in 2.5, but 3.0 works very well, except wireframing is incredibly slow... probably because of the early drivers for NT.
    I have tested it in Maya 2.0 as well, and it seems to be working fine. D3D works fine in both 2.5 and 3.0, GL is just far better quality.

I have a Cel 525, 256Mb ram, 18.5gb x 2 Cheetahs, Win98, WinNT4, Linux 6.0 (RH)

Comment

I have a G400 16MB OEM card and 3DSM R2. No problems with Open GL now, but I had experienced crashes with my ECC memory enabled in BIOS.

This is an ASUS P2B series MB conflict and may get solved with future driver releases. Matrox confirms this only happens on the ASUS/ECC Memory Enabled/P2B series MB as they put one together and tried it!

Had a Permedia 2 prior to this and never had an Open GL crash with ECC enabled with it. Thats why I believe it is a driver issue.

But this card renders so well that I ordered a MAX and sold the Permedia 2 already and the VooDoo II's have a couple more days on Ebay but they are as good as sold too. I just disabled ECC in BIOS and live with it, the card is worth it.

3DSM will run in Diect3D as well but OGL is mo better. Have a P II 400 stock clock, all scuzzy inside, 9 GB Cheetah LVD's, 256 MB ECC RAM, Win98SE, NT 4.0 with a Sony GDM 400PS.

Enjoy,

SCompRacer1

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer1 (edited 08-15-1999).]

Comment

Thanks for your help. I am going with the Matrox MilG400Max, AS SOON AS I CAN GET SOMEONE TO SELL IT TO ME HERE IN THE UK!!!

A bit rare at the moment

Thanks again.
        Tony

Comment

Here in the USA, some say they are "scarce as hen's teeth."

What do they say over there in the UK?

SCompRacer1

Comment

Hey guys, I was one of the first people ever to receive a G400 MAX (retail version), anyways... one of the main purposes was to use it in 3DSMAX (I have version 2.5, soon to be buying 3.0).

When I start up 3DSMAX with the /h option, I have the option for Software or OpenGL. My D3D is greyed out. So I try OGL and it works, but not great. It's faster to use Software. If I try and use a background image in one of my views using OGL, it gets all screwed up.

I used to have 3DSMAX 3.0 (like alpha 30 or something) but I didn't have my G400 MAX at the time. I use 3DSMAX a lot, and I'd like it to work better. The NT drivers arn't great yet.. they work.

My Computer:
            FIC VA-305+ Motherboard
            AMD K6-III 400
            Matrox Millenium G400 MAX
            Diamond Monster MX300 Soundcard
            Dual-boot system: Win98 & WinNT 4.0 sp5

Comment

Hey guys, I was one of the first people ever to receive a G400 MAX (retail version), anyways... one of the main purposes was to use it in 3DSMAX (I have version 2.5, soon to be buying 3.0).

When I start up 3DSMAX with the /h option, I have the option for Software or OpenGL. My D3D is greyed out. So I try OGL and it works, but not great. It's faster to use Software. If I try and use a background image in one of my views using OGL, it gets all screwed up.

I used to have 3DSMAX 3.0 (like alpha 30 or something) but I didn't have my G400 MAX at the time. I use 3DSMAX a lot, and I'd like it to work better. The NT drivers arn't great yet.. they work.

My Computer:
              FIC VA-305+ Motherboard
              AMD K6-III 400
              Matrox Millenium G400 MAX
              Diamond Monster MX300 Soundcard
              Dual-boot system: Win98 & WinNT 4.0 sp5

Comment

If anyone is interested, I have a connection who has a large supply of those hen's teeth for pre-order
                jim

------------------
                P2-350 o/c 450, BH-6 mobo,128mb pc-100,Mill. G-200 8mb o/c to 215 with g200clk, win98,dx6.1,PD5.13, bios 2.3
                THREE BIG FANS (and three little ones)

System 1:
                AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                Epox 8K7A
                2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                SBLIVE 5.1
                Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                3Com Hardware Modem
                Teac 20/10/40 burner
                Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Working...
                X