Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABIT BH6 and G400 max systems and problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABIT BH6 and G400 max systems and problems?

I have read a bunch of threads on BH6 and G400 max cards with problems?
    MY question is do all the machines with problems have scsi cards and/or what other idenitical hardware?

I have
    P3 450 not OCed on a BH6
    128 meg pc100
    Adaptec SCSI 2940UW Pro
    1 4.55 gig scsi Seagate Cheetha
    2 2.1 gig scsi Seagate barracud
    1 maxtor 4.3 gig ide
    1 2 gig Jaz drive
    1 100meg zip drive
    1 Plextor 4/12 plexwriter CDR
    1 Umax 1200s
    Awe 32 Creative labs card
    1 cheap Jaton modem
    1 Mill2 with RR video card
    soon to be swaped out for a G400Max with RRg
    I am accepting prayers that my new card will install smooth as a baby's behind but some of these threads are scareing me.
    please post your working and your crashing BH6 hardware configurations please.

I've just received my G400MAX today, so I'll be testing it tonight. I too have a BH6 and SCSI, so I'll post my results tomorrow.

My specs (after today) are:

BH6 running the KG BIOS
    Celeron 400 (not o/c)
    256Mb PC100 SDRAM (2x128)
    Adaptec 2940U2W
    1x 18Gb LVD-SCSI IBM (10k rpm)
    1x 9Gb LVD-SCSI IBM
    1x Plextor 8/20 PlexWriter CDR
    (will buy a Pioneer 6x scsi DVD-ROM)
    Umax Astra 1200s scanner
    SB Live! sound card
    G400MAX card (was Mill G200)
    RR-G card

I've read suggestions on other threads that there can be complications with:
    two 128Mb DIMMS
    conflicts with SCSI and SBLive cards
    IRQ sharing with lots of peripherals
    heat buildup with hot cards next to G400
    BH6 motherboard (especially if PSU is poor)
    not removing old drivers/Powerdesk properly

So, I think I might be lucky to get a fully stable system, but thankfully there have been many great ideas floated on this forum to use as solutions.

Comment

Well, I do have SCSI but it's proven not to be the source of my problem.
      P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

I tried my card last night, being very very careful to uninstall g200 drivers & Powerdesk properly.

For the first boot, I got loud hissing from the speakers, but after I upgraded the bios to 1_04 it went away (I even used the Windows bios-flasher!).

Apar from that initial glitch, I've had no problems so far. Games seem much faster, image quality is perhaps even better than the G200.

If you're still having problems, check out this thread that's currently doing the rounds:
        <a href="http://forums.gagames.com/forums/Forum109/HTML/002774.html">G400? BH6? Fixed!</a>

Hope this helps

PS. My system specs are in a previous post on this thread.

Comment

Congrats Morg, did you check if you're running AGP2X?

Never mind the subject, the DDC thing discussed in the thread you referred to is actually another problem than the supposed BH6 problem. The latter appears to be a driver bug and doesn't relate in particular to the BH6. Check Haig's last reply in http://forums.gagames.com/forums/For...ML/002734.html

Anyway, you can stop worrying and have some serious fun now.
          P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Working...
          X