A little help? Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help? Please.

Hi! I have an Abit BX6 r2 and a G400 OEM DualHead 32Mb card (just got it today!) and an SBlive! value, 3Com NIC PCI, Celeron 466 in a slotket, 64Mb DIMM's 10.1GB WDC and a 850Mb WDC mp3 drive on secondary chain w/ 12x cdrom. I d/l the latest drivers from the matrox site (5.13) and I had installed DX6eng.exe from the matrox cd previously and the only other thing was the NIC drivers that Win98 installed during setup. No SB drivers loaded yet, windows does not detect that during install. So I have a fresh install then port over (after configuring my network to do so) from another comp to my hdd the extracted driverset since I didnt install any extractor util yet, then installed the driver (setup.exe) and reboot, now I get to the login screen (network neighborhood) and if I enter or not a password or hit esc I just sit at the teal sesktop screen. What happened? All I did before was hit stuff like show contents in resizing of windows, smooth scrolling font stuff, would that screw things up? What happened here? IRQ's according to BIOS:
    G400 - 9
    SBLive value - 10
    IDE - 14
    Serial bus controller(USB) - 5
    3Com NIC - 11
    ACPI(what is this?) - 9 also.

so is everything okay hardware but did dumb stuff software wise? I also installed tweakui too- but made no adjustments. What is going on here? should I try the cd drivers first? then install everything else, then remove and upgrade? help!
    Abit BX6R2 466@525 Intel Celeron, WD 10.1Gb Matrox G400 32Mb DH, SBLive!, 3Com NIC, 256Mb PC100 SDRAM, 4Gb Tape backup, IDE internal ZIP, trusty 12x CDROM running RedHat 5.2 Linux and Windows98.

You may want to try hitting ctrl-alt-del after entering your password. I recall having something similiar with my old Epox MVP3G - a recalcitrant program would hang (something to do with McAfee Viruscan) and it's interface to mapisp32... If I killed the little bugger, my system would come up apropriately.

This usually happened to me after installing the Microsoft Windows 98 Plus Pack! (McAfee included in that one)
    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

okay- umm, I am starting over again, doing DX6.1 first followed by the 5.13 d/l drivers that I put on my d: drive before I reformatted/fdisked c: to reinstall win98. but whats the deal with BIOS? do I want a new BIOS? can I get a new g400 32Mb OEM Dualhead BIOS? what is the benefit?
      Abit BX6R2 466@525 Intel Celeron, WD 10.1Gb Matrox G400 32Mb DH, SBLive!, 3Com NIC, 256Mb PC100 SDRAM, 4Gb Tape backup, IDE internal ZIP, trusty 12x CDROM running RedHat 5.2 Linux and Windows98.

Comment

no, no that didnt work that ctrl-alt delete thing, there is no response. Im going to reformat and try the cd drivers.

Comment

ACPI is power management. Try turning it off, it just causes problems. That may very well fix your issue, since Windows9x tries to initialize power management right at the very beginning of the login sequence.

- Slarty

------------------
          I used to be a guy named Gurm. I used to have a signature. But that's all gone now. Now, my name is Ash... and I am a slave.

Comment

Matrox technical support does have an entry about 3COM Nic drivers. Make sure you have the latest and that the diagnostic features are not installed.

Here's a snippet:

"Solution: Go to 3Com's web site and download their latest stripped down driver set (minimal; without any value added software). These drivers are unsupported by 3Com."

------------------
            Profound Runner,
            (aka Willie)
            Profound Runner
            ---- aka Willie -------

Comment

Working...
            X