Quicktime 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quicktime 15

I think that I recall an issue with Pdesk 5.13 and Quicktime 16. Can anyone remember, shed some light and possibly have an answer as to why running Quicktime 16 with Pdesk 5.13 causes the blue screen?

Thanks

Bob

Here's the fix:

In your QTW.INI file (in the windows directory), find a line that says:

Optimize=HARDWARE (or anything else)

and change it to:

Optimize=BMP

And vilola! The BSOD is gone!

- Slarty

------------------
    I used to be a guy named Gurm. I used to have a signature. But that's all gone now. Now, my name is Ash... and I am a slave.

Comment

Or did you really want to know WHY there exists such a problem?

- Slarty

------------------
      I used to be a guy named Gurm. I used to have a signature. But that's all gone now. Now, my name is Ash... and I am a slave.

Comment

Yes, it has to do with some function calls that are present in 16-bit drivers that CAN'T be present in 32-bit drivers. Most video card makers tried for a while to keep the calls around to ensure compatibility (which is why it works, say, on powerdesk 4.33 for the G200 but not 4.51). But eventually, either M$ certification or just the stability/evolution of the drivers demanded that the calls be removed. Hence, 16-bit Quicktime no longer functions.

Now, the scolding bit... shame on APPLE for making software that makes untested, unchecked calls to functions that may or may not exist. Shame on APPLE for not defaulting the software to optimize to bitmap.

Grr.

- Slarty

------------------

Comment

It worked...!!! Thanks...

Actually, I wasn't as concerned as to why it doesn't...but just how to fix it. There are a few games that my son plays that I wanted to run, successfully, and now they do. I can only imagine that due to the fact that Quicktime 16 is SO old...the driver incompatibility must be it.

Thanks Again...

Bob

Comment

Working...
          X