Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G200 BIOS upgrade on Asus P5A still risky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 BIOS upgrade on Asus P5A still risky?

Hello Matroxians,

I have a Millennium G200 in my Asus P5A motherboard since September '98 now and since everything runs just fine, I've never bothered to upgrade the G200 BIOS. However, now that the final OpenGL ICD is out I am tempted to check out the latest drivers (I still use drivers 4.26 and BIOS 1.3 at the moment). On the other hand, I have read that it is recommended to use the latest BIOS for the new drivers and that upgrading the G200 BIOS on a P5A can result in a locked BIOS (Grzegorz's "MatroX files" site also includes this warning...). However, some people in this forum seem to have succeeded in upgrading their BIOS. So my question is: Have these problems been sorted out with newer versions of the BIOS programming tool/motherboard BIOS/etc. ? And what do I have to pay attention to when I try to run the BIOS update? I like my G200 and don't want to ruin it...

Thank you in advance,

Georg

I have never had any flashing problems with my P5A+G200. None what so ever.

(Just boot to safe mode command-prompt (first F8 and from the menu SHIFT+F5) and run the flashing utility.)

B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 08-10-1999).]

Comment

I also have never had any flashing problems with my ASUS P5A and Millennium G200 AGP.

I use SAFE COMMAND PROMPT mode when flashing the BIOS without running into any problems. Although I understand that the create emergency disk now requires more memory than SAFE COMMAND PROMPT offers, probably COMMAND PROMPT without loading any special utilities or programs (no overclock utilities during flash process!)

------------------
      Profound Runner,
      (aka Willie)
      Profound Runner
      ---- aka Willie -------

Comment

Working...
      X