G400 MAX Problem with Unstable DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX Problem with Unstable DVD

I am having problems with my DVD output (primary monitor). The image shows a periodic jitter (not frame skipping) like a jump of 1/4" to the right and then instantly back to the original position. This only occurs with moving objects on the screen. It occurs with almost all movies. Some more than others.

My system: ABIT BX6-2, PII 450, Adaptec 2940 w/uw SCSI controller, IBM & WD hard drives, Pioneer 103S (EIDE) DVD player, Diamond MX300 audio, Diamond V2 SLI, G400 MAX video with PD 5.13.020 and display driver 4.11.01.1130, Bios 1.3-20 (now 1.5-20), Nokia 445xpro monitor.

I initially had a IRQ conflict between the MAX and the SCSI controller. Fixed that - no effect. Disconnected V2 SLI - No effect.

My ABIT computer has no flickering of the video image with a Millenium G200 with DVD daughter card installed in it in place of the MAX.

I attached a TV to the second head of the MAX using DVD MAX Dual Head. With the TV attached, there was no observable flickering in either the TV picture (640x480 NTSC) or the Nokia monitor image (1024x768, 32bbp). The DVD output looked as it should with a very stable image.

I unhooked the TV from the cable (leaving the DVD MAX enabled) and the image from the movie "Terminator" remained clean and flicker-free. Note, this was with the TV adapter cable attached to the 2nd video port of the MAX.

Once I unhooked the TV adapter cable from the 2nd head, the flicker returned as before. It didn't matter if the DVD MAX was enabled or not. If the cable was connected and the DVD MAX was enabled, the picture from the movie was flicker-free.

I used the opening sequence from "Terminator" as the test video since it has really large blue letters moving on a black background which show up the flickering easily. Also, the flickering is only visible when there is movement on the screen. Still images never flicker.

No other combination eliminated the flicker. The DVD MAX must be enabled and the TV adapter must be attached.

Other combinations I tried:

Instead of the TV adapter cable, I tried a standard D-SUB (VGA) cable. No effect with or without DVD MAX enabled. The flicker was present. I did not try this with a monitor attached to the second video cable.

I tried using, for my main monitor connection, a D-SUB cable instead of my normal BNC connectors. The flicker remained.

I installed the MAX and the MAX DVD software in my Dell XPS-R450 (450 PII, Soundblaster Live sound card, Maxtor Diamondmax Pro 10.2 GB EIDE HD, Nokia 447 monitor). In common with my main computer, it has a Pioneer 103S DVD player. The MAX showed the same instability as it did in the ABIT BX6-2 computer. The movement was less noticable, but still quite evident. When I reinstalled the Millenium G200 (+DVD card), the G200 was perfectly stable in the Dell computer using the Zoran software which came with the G200. I did not try using the G400 DVD software with the G200.

Also, I updated the Bios on the MAX and checked my free resources (92%).

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. The image flicker is quite anoying.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

[This message has been edited by rogersb (edited 08-05-99).]

Hmm, i remember replying to thie earlier - all I said though was that I've never seen it, yet I've never removed the TVout cable. I'll try it tonight, but if it don't work, can't you just leave the cable plugged in for now?

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

That's my plan, however, I have been offered a replacement G400 MAX by Matrox. I intend to take them up on it.

PS I tried the cable again and this time, I didn't notice any difference between with and without the cable. So much for that plan.

Brian

[This message has been edited by rogersb (edited 08-06-99).]

Comment

Come on - Somebody must have seen this problem....

Comment

Actually, that just sounds to me like the board is decoding the lines for the video in the wrong order. I have no idea how to edit that on the Matrox DVD player, as I honestly dont use it, but thats all I can figure, having seen it on high end video boards sometimes. Maybe someone knows the registry edit or settings for that? It might even be in the control panel for the player
          A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

I have seen the same problem and the last message "tips" me off to experiment with the DVD control panel. Change the setting from "Force Weave" to "Force BOB" and the periodic skip frame is gone. Try it.

Comment

Working...
            X