Dual-head DVD performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual-head DVD performance

I'd like some information on how good the picture quality of a 32 MB G400 (not MAX) is while playing DVD movies on a TV screen. Is it "at least" as good as that of a VHS player or would you suggest I get an MPEG-2 decoder? I've got a Pioneer DVD-A03S and a Celeron 466 if that's any help.

The picture quality of my G400 32MB DH's DVD playback is excellent. The quality is FAR better than VHS. I've also got a Creative Dxr2 (in another PC) and the quality is not much different. If you don't want to use your PC for anything else at the same time as playing DVD's you should be fine.

Chris.
    ---------------
    ABit BE6, Celeron 300A@450MHz, 256MB PC100 RAM, G400 32MB DH, SBlive!, IBM 22GB HDD, etc

Comment

So, if say I want to edit some text files on my monitor and watch a movie on the screen at the same time, I'll probably notice some fuzziness? BTW, is the TV out only in S-video or has it got the standard outputs too?

Comment

TheSnob,
        No. Multi-tasking while a DVD is playing will not reduce the picture quality, it just might cause it to skip frames. When decoding a DVD, it takes around 80% of your CPU power, the other 20% is handled by the G400's DVD assist. In other words as long as you don't start using a graphics application or similar at the same time you should be ok. Simple text editing should be fine.

The cable supplied has S-video and a standard phono style output.

[This message has been edited by Chris H (edited 08-09-99).]

Comment

Working...
        X