Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling this thing...

Hi guys,

Just been wondering if there's any new methods people have come up with for cooling thier G400s?

Also, just thought I'd show how my PC is now being cooled - I refuse to let my PC over heat any longer:

This is my PC now - three fans blowing onto the cards/cpu, one in the PS sucking out (which will need to be boosted), and one at the front at the bottom which sucks air in too.

And under here, you can just see my CPU at the top, and the G400 at the bottom:

Cheers,

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by StevieC (edited 08-05-99).]

Just a little tip for you Steve:

fans in themselves donĀ“t produce cool air.

rubank

[This message has been edited by rubank (edited 08-05-99).]

Comment

How many fans can a young man put on
      before all air is gone
      the answer my friend is blowing in the wind
      the answer is blowing in the wind.

Bill

Comment

I just have one word for that setup: WHOA.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

rubank - I don't have a side on my pc, so outside air is being blown onto everything, not being circulated.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Damn, that thing looks like it must kick out to the left during boot. You need to add some Cheetah drives
            One of the PC's in a friend's lab had a Cheetah RAID in the tower. The case really would move when the machine booted up.

-Wombat

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Stevie,

(always knew you would end up with that name )

Is the PC bolted down on your desk, or do you use the gold bars Big-M sent you as pre-payment??

(Also a thought, check if they're not painted lead-bars)

Jorden.
              JordĆ¢ā€žĀ¢

Comment

well i got a nice autoscrolling saber saw and i have cut a few holes in the side of my case and mounted fans on them. the fans are mounted on the outside of the case.

also on the inside of the case i have a slot fan blowing out the air. the slot fan is in the slot next to the g400max.

Comment

Why don't you just take an old window fan and bolt it to the side.

That way it would be enclosed....kind of.

Comment

i think i have him beat.

i just got 4 yes four 6.5inch 110volt fans out of an old building ups sytem. im going to mount one in a pvc box and attachit to the outside of the side of my case. and have it blow air into the case.(over the cards) im going to remove my two 80mm case fans and mount them in the top of the case under the two factory vents that are in the top. (only thing that worrys me is that if you move to much air static charges can build up. but as my case is made of high density plastc with minimal metal reniforcements. i don't think im going to have a problem (i'll run a ground wire from the frame to an isolated house ground. just in case.) this isint insane is it? oh can any one thing of a name for the big fan like turbo cooler, or super charged air handler or cyberdine model 101 turbo cooler???

------------------
                    Noel C Ridge Jr.(im tired and boared but i go on.(my friends think im nuts, i keep telling them im just insane.)

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 08-06-99).]

Comment

ooh ooh i know "the heat terminator"

------------------
                      Noel C Ridge Jr.(im tired and boared but i go on.(my friends think im nuts, i keep telling them im just insane.)

Comment

Just to update my cooling story...

Been hacking my PC's side with a jigsaw...

and:

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

If you are not using those vents at the back of the case (next to the PCI slots) to bring air in, cover them with duct tape. Otherwise, you will be losing about 1/4 of the air the fans bring in. And just mount a good 60mm or 80mm (depending on available room) to the vents of the PS, it will greatly increase the exhaust air flow. I'm thinking about doing the same thing to mine, but not quite as dramatic...
                          "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

God, and just to think that I thought I was doing OK with just a 486 CPU fan attached to the heatsink with the side of my case off. I guess I had better rethink that.

Joel

Comment

What the hell is running that requires that cooling. A video card sure doesnt. I have a pentium fan attached to my g400(150/200), 1 fan behind my slot 1 that draws air out, the power supply faces down and draws air out, and a fan in the front that blows cool air in. my case temp right now 28C, cpu temp is 40.5C(thermal sensor attached underneath to the heatsink)

Comment

Working...
                              X