G400 32MB characteristics/operation/assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 32MB characteristics/operation/assistance

After installing the 32MB retail variant, I am left with several "head-scratchers" to which I am hopeful someone here can lend their considerable expertise.

1. RR-G Series and Matrox DVD Upgrade

I have installed the RR-G Series and DVD Hardware Upgrade. However, how can I be sure that hardware DVD module is actually performing (the G400's DVD performance is inherently good, making it harder to tell off-hand) The Windows Resource Meter still shows considerable CPU usage.

2. G400 DVD Software.

Unlike the SoftDVD product sold separately and bundled with the Marvel G200, does the new Divicore product access hardware features that the other does not? Also, does anybody know what the Control Panel's Matrox DVD Applet's Expert User option does?

3. DVD Max.

No matter how hard I try, I cannot get the DVD image to appear or zoom in the second window. Have I missed something obvious? Is there a setting (outside of the PowerDesk DualHead option) that I need to enable or modify?

4. Refresh Rates.

I am using a G400 to drive a ViewSonic P815 on a 1800x1440 desktop at primarly 16, though sometimes 24 or 32 bit color depth. The monitor's maks refresh rate is 76Hz, though the G400 supports considerably higher refresh rates at these display configurations, The device defaults to 70Hz, whether using the Matrox Monitor Profiles or the standard Windows 98 Monitor definitions. I have successfully modified the profile, but an anybody share why the Optimal or other drop-down options would not include the 76Hz setting?

Thanks in advance for any assistance anybody can offer on any of these points. I realize that they may have been better-presented in separate posts. I do believe I have diligently read the product reference, but am certainly not assuming that I have not simply missed something. Once again, thanks.

Bill Hoscheit

1. AFAIK, the DVD upgrade will only be used by the Zoran soft-DVD that it came with. Unfortunatly, at this time that software does not work with PD 5.xx

2.The "expert" checkbox makes options in other tabs available for adjustment.

3.Go to the DH tab in the advanced display options. Mark the "DH Clone, DVDMax or zoom" option. Check the "Use DH DVDMax" checkbox. Make sure the tv standard and DVDmax TV settings match your setup. That should do it.

4.Detailed refresh settings are handled in the "monitor Settings" tab of the advanced display properties. Clear the checkbox for "Use simplified monitor controls", and click "Adjust the current display mode". Once in there, you can set it to whatever refresh you want too.

Good luck

Comment

Kruzin,

Thanks for the tips. WRT The DVD-Upgrade module, this is one of a long series of "not what, but how" frustrations I feel about Matrox, despite the eventual quality of the products. For example, Matrox Sales advocates the DVD module as an adjunct to the RR-G, and the RR-G to the G400, but makes no accommodation for the fact that the DVD and G400 are not presently compatible. I realize practicalities, I believe one could place a single order for all three products at the same time, and nothing would be said. This is allowing dissatisfaction to happen when it could otherwise have been avoided. Another example is the "is the only difference between the 32 and the MAX its RAMDAC speed?". Sales responds yes, though the MAX also has faster memory (5ns vs 6ns). It's this kind of stuff that's frustruating, especially as each new generation of products gets very expensive to replace. (Sorry, soapbox smashed to bits. Thanks for letting me vent). But, dammit, I still love the card.

I do not get any additional tabs after enabling Expert. Do you know what they might be off-hand, or if the inability to get them has a specific cause/cure?

I've tried to enable the DVD Max feature onto a second monitor and my television, and it still doesn't work, even after verifying the enabling process. I know the possibility exists for a defective board, but I feel that my knowledge is likely to be more flawed than a particular card. <G>

As for Refresh Rates, I've been able to successfuly change them to my highest performing levels. I guess my question was intended to read, "why doesn't the profile spec the actual high performance? Are they intentionally left under the threshhold to ensure stability?" One means that I can assume I am getting the performance from my configuration by default, the other means that I must intervene. I have no problem doing it, I'd just like to understand the places where I am likely to have to do something about it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bill

Comment

You don't get additional tabs by enabling "expert" mode. The options that are on the existing tabs that cannot be adjusted without expert will become available.

On the refresh rates...it's the maker of the monitor that writes the .inf file that tells windows what refresh rates to use. PD5 uses that same info for it's basic settings, with customisations being overlayed onto that .inf, rather than replacing it like it did in PD4

Don't know what else to tell you about DVDMax. I did what I outlined above, and it's always worked fine for me...Does clone mode or multi monitor mode work?

Comment

Working...
        X