Haig: What about Marvel S/PDIF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haig: What about Marvel S/PDIF?

I want to be able to keep the audio path digital if possible. What happened to the S/PDIF digital audio output that I read about and saw in so mnay reviews? What is the best way to pair up the Maverl with a SOundBlaster Live! full version for digital audio?

My interest includes film music composition. Any info you can share on the audio path and connectors will be greatly appreciated.

Having paid $307 (US) big ones, I got in a Matrox Marvel G400-TV last week. It did not have the S/PDIF digital output that almost all the sites have mentioned and often raved about. Some sites even have pictures, even G2 video of the digital audio output. Even one site mentioned that the "first" Marvel G400's had digital audio output. Instead of the RCA-type output plug, I got a rubber stopper over an empty hole, but the blue plastic housing right under the plug is clearly labeled "S/PDIF." Now is this an unfinished product? Or is it BAIT & SWITCH!

If you have a Matrox Marvel G400-TV with the S/PDIF digital audio output on the breakout box, please contact me directly and ASAP at gr8ful@futuresouth.com

Note: Even the Matrox Users Group web site describes an S/PDIF digital audio output equiped Break Out Box.

Reply & Tip:If you post to the forum I listed, and put "Haig" in the subject, you will get a reply from the head of Matrox Canada's tech support...he's quite the video editing guru...

jt

------------------
    jt
    jt

Look at the drawing under the BOB, does it list one? Mine doesn't. I believe they've removed the option with the newer Marvel although contacting them to make sure sounds good to me too. Guess we'll know Monday.

Comment

I Eaimled various people @ Matrox last weekend. I called on line sales on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Their reps [Mony & Joan] each promised to find out and call me back. So far I have recieved no calls back and not one E,ail, NADA. No Email from sales, Metrox's President [Hey, why not? I can figure out his Email address, so I sent him something a long time ago.], Matrox on-line Tech Support [NOT cool!]; not one. BUT, I did get one Email reply from Public Relations Director Gay Decker via another reviewer, Loyd Case. Some Public Relations; can't even directly Email me. They have to forward it. I think I'll post it. It still has me puzzled.

------------------
      jt
      jt

Comment

Hello:

Here's the response from Matrox on the G400 and S/PDIF.

Best regards,

Loyd Case
        Contributing Editor, Technology
        Computer Gaming World & Gamespot

For more information on PC games,
        PC gaming technology, troubleshooting
        and hardware, check out my new book,

Building the Ultimate Game PC
        ISBN 0-7897-2204-6

-----Original Message-----
        Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 5:05 PM
        To: Loyd Case
        Subject: Re: FW: I bought a Marvel G400-TV and I'm mad as hell:BAIT AND SWITCH
        Importance: High

Hi Loyd

I understand whyDr. **** would be upset if he thought he was getting S/PDIF and then didn't. Yes, he is correct, there is a S/PDIF hole on the breakout box, but it doesn't connect to anything. This is because we are not using a hardware DVD decoder as we did with the G200. And this Marvel Connector box is the same as what was used with the G200, so hence the empty hole. If a customer wants S/PDIF out, he/she will have to install a compatible sound card. We are in the process of developing such a list. For the moment I can suggest a Creative Sound Blaster Live.

For the record, we never advertised S/PDIF or included it in our press releases or other editiorial material. Also, I note that you correctly did not mention it in your article.

As for those other web reviews, there were a couple posted with this error. However we quickly notified the editors of this and the S/PDIF references were taken out. If there are other existing reviews on the web, I would like to know where they are so we can contact them.

I apologize for the fact that no one responded to Dr. ****. We strive for a one-day turn around on customer calls. If he would like to still speak to someone in sales, I can give you a name and phone number, or I can ask someone to call him on Monday, whichever he prefers.

Finally, if Dr. ***** would like to return the board, he can do so if it's within 30 days of purchase.

Any further questiosn, let me know

Regards

Gay Decker

At 09:04 AM 11/5/1999 -0800, you wrote:

Hi, Gay:

I got this message from a reader. Any info on S/PDIF?

Best regards,

Loyd Case
        Contributing Editor, Technology
        Computer Gaming World & Gamespot

-----Original Message-----

Dear Loyd,

After reading your review [Nice format but long download; nonetheless, definitely worth it!] amoug others, I bought a Marvel G400-TV and I'm mad as hell. BAIT AND SWITCH. There is NO S/PDIF digital audio out on the break out box as shown and stated in the many web reviews! True, there is a hole and it is even labeled S/PDIF engraved in the blue plastic but there is a rubber stopper with nothing behind it.

I have Emailed Matrox on line store approximately six times. I have sent messages via Matrox's web site tech support and sales service. I have called three days in a row, talked with their sales staff, been promised they would look into it and call me back, but no one calls me back.

I paid Matrox full price directly. I am out $307 big ones. I haven't installed the unit. I want my S/PDIF output. Warn others about this BAIT AND SWITCH .

RSVP

Dr. **** ***

------------------
        jt

[This message has been edited by Ant (edited 09 November 1999).]
        jt

Comment

I and all the early Marvel G400-TV reviewers received BOBs with a SPDIF output, we were told by Matrox these were the release versions of the boards. I'll contact marketing and see what they have to say about this.

Comment

Hi jt,

The Marvel G400 has no SPDIF out.

The Divicorp softDVD bundle will use the SPDIF out of various sound cards. This compatability list will be out shortly. It won't support the SPDIF out from the Live cards right away but there is a reg hack somewhere on how to enable that support.

Haig

[This message has been edited by Haig (edited 08 November 1999).]

Comment

Haig,

Great reply; still G(r)eek to me. Here's my other post in similar discussion with questions:

The way the reviewers praised the BOB in comparison to other units implied that the G400 BOB is a totally new, re-designed, highly innovative, band spanking new unit. And if it is not, then why make such a big deal? Sure, I'm a novice user and I'm trying to sort all of this out, but make it easier! And don't glorify the product. If it were a newly designed unit, then it shouldn't have a rubber stopper in some hole clearly labeled "S/PDIF" and I would not be so alarmed.

Now, what about using a hardware DVD decoder like the Hollywood or Sigma designs with the Marvel G400?

1. Can it be done?
              2. How much of an improvement [read: less CPU hit] will it make on (a) system performance and (b) video quality?
              3. What about editing audio if a digital audio connection can be established either (a) with the use of a DVD decoder card or (b) without DVD hardware decoder but relying upon software decoding?

Thanks in advance!

jt

------------------
              jt
              jt

Comment

Hi jt,

I just edited my post because I realized I should of stated sound card rather than dvd cards.

In any case, if you have a sound card with a SPDIF out, our Divicorp will use that SPDIF out.

The compatability list will come out but as I said, the SPDIF on the Live card will not be supported yet.

"The way the reviewers praised the BOB in comparison to other units implied that the G400 BOB is a totally new, re-designed, highly innovative, band spanking new unit. And if it is not, then why make such a big deal? Sure, I'm a novice user and I'm trying to sort all of this out, but make it easier! And don't glorify the product. If it were a newly designed unit, then it shouldn't have a rubber stopper in some hole clearly labeled "S/PDIF" and I would not be so alarmed."

Don't know why it was glorified. It's just the Marvel G200 BOB without a SPDIF. I think the reviewers were told afterwards but that's more of a question for them.

"Now, what about using a hardware DVD decoder like the Hollywood or Sigma designs with the Marvel G400?"

1. Can it be done?"

As long as the decoder card DOES NOT need to get attached to our card internally, it should work. If the only connection to our card is a pass thru cable, this should also work.

"2. How much of an improvement [read: less CPU hit] will it make on (a) system performance and (b) video quality?"

All resources should be less and the quality should be better than software. I haven't seen these cards myself so I couldn't really tell you.

"3. What about editing audio if a digital audio connection can be established either (a) with the use of a DVD decoder card or (b) without DVD hardware decoder but relying upon software decoding?"

Editing the audio would depend what type of music you are recording for your film scores. Midi or real instruments or both?

If it's midi, I don't know if the live card would output its waves used for the midi tracks to output thru its SPDIF outs. Even if your sequencing app sees the live card and it's wave table, something in the live card has to tell it to output the .mid file thru the spdif out.

If you are recording actual instruments, then the app used to record and playback the tracks must see both the Live's SPDIF in/out.

What I use at home is the Gina card which has SPDIF in/out along with 2 in/8 out all in 1/4". My midi interface is a Voyetra 2in/4out midi interface with SMPTE.

My keyboards/modules have fiber optic outs so that I can hook it up to a digital recorder. This way, my keyboards (midi tracks) go out in digital and what ever I recorded thru the Gina will output via its SPDIF out to the digital recorder.

I use VST for all this which is also internally synced to Acid.

Haig

Comment

Wow,

Feel like I hit a gold mine! Or mind! I like the Cubase VST and SF's Acid but don't have anything but the SB bundled software at this time. Sounds like one should forget about the SB and get a more professional card. Even though I've been getting KB and EM mags for a year, I haven't figured out what to get and haven't been able to afford anything for a while. My old C-1 system was stolen sometime ago and it was a couple of years before I even got another 'puter! But life has been a little more favorable to me in the last year. I hope to plan a full build during this next year for another full home studio and wish to do it all in one box. I still have a lot of outboard gear in storage. I have a long ways to go to learn this stuff.

Thanks for the tips.

------------------
                  jt
                  jt

Comment

Did the S/PDIF on early G400 BOBs actually work? Were they useful?

------------------
                    jt
                    jt

Comment

Hi jt,

the SPDIF's on the Marvel G400 BOB's never worked and were not sold with it. AFAIK, only the reviewers received these BOB's.

Haig

Comment

Working...
                      X