g400 max, card from hell, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400 max, card from hell, please help

i'm not bragging when i say this, but i got my g400 max (dh) about a month ago, maybe three weeks

it has caused nothing but problems since then
    i think i read most of the forums on here, but i might've missed the ones which could help me

my problem: computer locks up when i tell win98 to reboot (from start/shutdown menu)
    normally when i try to do things in windows it'll crash (assuming it's a crash since i have to reboot) with lines going across the screen, and it just keeps making them, the cursor turns into a big block too

i've turned pci irq steering off (even though this is agp) because that caused problems with my last video card, i told my bios (on the mb) to put an irq to vga, it set it to 11, windows picked up the change and agreed to set it to 11 (thank God)
    i did that for bus mastering
    before when i had it working (no crashes like that) it would just crash when i tried to run quake2 and kingpin (same engine, same problem?) but i had kingpin working at one point

i'm using the latest bios (i think, bios_104.exe) and powerdesk version 5.13.020

i have an amd k6-2 333 overclocked to 350
    192 mb cas2 sdram (running at 8ns)
    super socket 7 mb, it's a tyan s1590s i think
    via mvp3, apollo chipset

as far as i know i haven't overclocked my video card, i don't see options to, and i didn't download any program(s) to do it

thanks for your time

-nerasp

Try disabling "read around write" or something similar to that effect in your BIOS, and in windows, disable fast shutdown, it'll crash your system more often than not.

Rags

Comment

Do you have all the latest via drivers for your motherboard? I was having similar shutdown problems (with my g200)until I updated 'em.
      Millenium G200 8 Meg (SDRAM) 2.6 - 20 bios; 350 AMD K6-2 on a VIA MVP3 with latest bios; 128 Meg SDRAM; 8.4 Maxtor;

Comment

how do i disable fast shutdown?
        i didn't notice anything about the agp aperture thing, mine's set at 64 at the moment, i'll set it to 256 in a min

can you guys tell me what pci irq steering is? it caused tons of problems with my rivatnt (when i had it)

where can i get new via drivers? (i can prolly find em, just wondering if you know where, exactly)

thanks!

Comment

Hi nerasp,
          http://www.via.com.tw/
          you can find the latest irq steering miniport, and the latest AGP patch there. The irq miniport, is supposed to smooth up the timing of the motherboard resources to better fit the mvp3 chipset, or something. To disable fast shutdown go into start,programs,accessories,system tools, system information, there will be some tabs, and it will be buried in there somewhere.

Matt

[This message has been edited by M Ragsdale (edited 08-06-99).]

Comment

the agp aperture size only goes to 128mb in my bios

what's it supposed to be?

Comment

If your BIOS allows it, it should be set to 256. I believe on my FIC VA503+, it will only allow me to go up to 128MB (it is a via MVP3 chipset).

Rags

Comment

ok, i updated my via drivers to whatever they had on their driver page, i set the agp aperture to 128

it crashed (with the lines) right after i got into windows

any ideas?

Comment

Okay when you installed your drivers, you should not have had your G400 drivers installed. (use the uninstaller,and use the standard pci vga adapter) At the beginning of the installation, there should be an option for turbo mode, do not use it, it won't work on the tyan mobo (at least the ones ive used). after the reboot, install your G400 drivers, then reboot, then install your miniport drivers. ALSO make sure that "read around write" is disabled in your bios.

Rags

Comment

thanks

by the way, for any of you paying attention i ordered my g400 max on june 1st at about 1 pm (because the preorder thing wasn't operating until then)

if i wasn't the first to order i was at least in the top 10 =)

Comment

umm, sorry but... what uninstaller?

Comment

ah, i see it
                        i got a c:\matrox\util dir

didn't realize it had useful stuff in it

ignore the previous post hehe

Comment

thanks a million matt

it works now =)

Comment

hey rhokanson, what do you use to cool that amd chip of yours? and is it safe to overclock so much?

thanks

Comment

is thire a way to turn off fast shut down in win 95 ????

------------------
                              Noel C Ridge Jr.(im tired and boared but i go on.(my friends think im nuts, i keep telling them im just insane.)

Comment

Working...
                              X