G400MAX Buy or cancel?....help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400MAX Buy or cancel?....help!

I have G400MAX ordered right now, and with people having all these problems, is it worth it, or should i get something else? None of the online stores have the MAX yet, when is it going to ship? On some it said 09/09/99 which i'm not too happy about...

PS: Does anyone have Quake3 or SiN benchmarks?
    PS2: Anyone knows if G400 OpenGL works with 3D Studio MAX 2.5/3 or Maya 2.0? or ANY professional level 3d apps?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Forever Doomed Matrox Victim (2x now.)
    =)

------------------
    [StorM]
    C583 w/256Mb, ABit BX6r2
    Waiting for the G400MAX

[This message has been edited by Storm2 (edited 08-06-99).]

You ask:

"...is it worth it, or should i get something else? "

You might ask yourself some questions to help you decide:

How have they supported me in the past (victime x2?)?

If support is a big issue, and you're a G200 owner, I don't see why you'd want to be a "victim" again. Big minus.

What are reviewers saying about this card?

Generally they're giving it good reviews. It has excellent 2d performance, as expected. 3D excels in DirectX/3d, and is tolerable in OpenGL. If you're going to do alot of high-res 2D work and occasional gaming, it's a no-brainer, get it. If you want an awesome game card with occasional 2d work, it's probably not the best solution (performance and cost wise).

What things to I NEED to be able to do with this card?

What things to I WANT to be able to do with this card?

If you NEED/WANT great OpenGL, it's a minus. If you NEED/WANT excellent 2d/Direct3d, it's a plus.

If you have previous experience with a Matrox product, would you recommend it to friends?

If you're a G200 owner and pissed at Matrox for taking a year to deliver on their promise, its a big minus. If you didn't care about OpenGL, it's a neutral or plus.

I faced the same decision recently and got a TNT2 Ultra card. OpenGL/gaming is probably my number one priority, on win9x and Linux. It's clear to me that nvidia is interested in supporting OpenGL on both platforms and it's also the best card out their for OpenGL in it's price range. It was also less $ than the MAX, and available today, not next month.

I just got it installed last night and it works great. It's nice to have an ICD that works very well out of the box. 2D is about as good as my G200 at 1024x768 (desktop res), and the 3d quality is about on par the the Matrox ICD.

Todd

Comment

Brother StorM,

The Quest for MAX is frought with frustrations which only the most faithful and patient survive. The Acolyte was just plain lucky to obtain the MAX through the grace of M. The Acolyte was eager and preordered from the Matrox Online Store.

After a hefty levy from the Matrox Online Store, the Acolyte was awarded the 18th MAX from M.

Art thou worthy enough for a MAX? Or art thou contented with its less brawny but capable G400 siblings? That is the question. Refuse the false offerings of T and V from the gods of n and 3!!

Acolyte M.
      (We must begin an exodus from GA to a better plane of existence!)

[This message has been edited by Acolyte M (edited 08-06-99).]

Comment

is it just me or dose anyone else out thire think that acolyte m is strange and unusal, but considering i understood the line "Refuse the false offerings of T and V from the gods of n and 3!!" maybe im strange and unusal too.

what do you think "oh wise and all knowing friends of the matrox forums" i really want to know.

------------------
        Noel C Ridge Jr.(im tired and boared but i go on.(my friends think im nuts, i keep telling them im just insane.)

Comment

He sounds like a mix between David Koresh, and Father Joel.

Rags

Comment

I ordered my Max June 9th and received it two days ago. The only problem I had was shut down on Win98SE, everything would lock up. I upgraded the Max's Bios and the problem was solved. I work with Photoshop and play games the Max gives me the best of both worlds. It was worth the money and the wait. Expendable, is a Feast for the Eyes as are all the other games I play. Give your Optic Nerves a treat and get the MAX
            Rick

Comment

Followers of M,

There is no mistake. I am strange and unusual. I was made this way when I was registered at these fora by the owner of this userid.

I am an artificial construct of a person's ego. He is an owner of a MAX and may be schizophrenic. (Behold! My FIRST smiley!)

Please do not be afraid of the Acolyte. He comes in peace... (and hopes not to leave in pieces!)

Acolyte M
              (in search of the abestos Holy Armor of M)

Comment

Thanks all for replying... i think i'll go for the MAX since i use 2D alot. My local hardware store might lend me a tnt2 or a v3 until they get the g400max.
                BTW SiN or Q3 benchmarks anyone? =)
                Thanks again.

------------------
                [StorM]
                C583 w/256Mb, ABit BX6r2
                Waiting for the G400MAX

Comment

Working...
                X