No announcement yet.

AGP aperture and PnP monitor advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP aperture and PnP monitor advice...

I have just flashed my BIOS (intel AL440LX mobo) from A08 to A09 (Dell not Intel).

It has added AGP aperture size and has automatically set it to [64mb].

What should this be set to? I have not had this in my BIOS before and have no idea how it will effect me

Also, when the BIOS was updated Windows 95 went off and reinstalled everything (it was supposed to).

In Powerdesk I have a Dell 1028L monitor showing, but in Device Manager/Monitor it is shown as plug and play monitor... is this correct? if not, how do I change it?

AAA

------------------
    PII-266, Intel AL400LX mobo, 128MB SDRAM, Win95b, G200 8mb Mill.

Hi Jonesyll,
    The aperture should be set to 128. As far as plug and play monitor goes, that is normal, all the settings will be handled by the monitor and powerdesk automatically (most of the time).

Matt

Comment

Man, that's a speedy answer
      Any reason why it sets it to 64mb?
      Will I finally get AGP x2 now!
      Cheers

Comment

It's possible. Different boards default to different apertures. That setting is one of those you have to really try at different levels to see where you get the best compatibility and performance. I cannot answer whether or not you will get 2X, but it is a good possibility.

Matt

Comment

Hi Jonsey,
          I had a Dell with that Intel mobo and whenever you flash your Bios the AGP Aperature will default back to 64. So try 128 or 256(if it has it) for your Aperature setting.

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Matt,
            what's the worst case scenario if I set the ap too high?

As I said, in the previous BIOS it was not an option, so I'm kinda dumb about it.

Slightly off-topic, but I flashed in prep for flashing (in recovery mode) to an Intel BIOS to then go via a slocket to a Celeron 466
            thanks for the help BTW...

Comment

I don't think anything adverse could really happen, worst case, you won't boot into windows, or games might crash, then all you have to do is move the AGP Ap. setting back down.
              ALBPM has flashed the Intel BIOS on that same mobo. I don't think there should be a problem.

Matt

Comment

Cheers, I'll bump it up and do another round of 3DMAX99 and see if there's any difference

Comment

Working...
                X