Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PD5.13 + G200 + Cinemaster 1.029 jaggy fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD5.13 + G200 + Cinemaster 1.029 jaggy fixed?

Somehow, through some act of god, I got the jaggies/horizontal tearing to go away with Powerdesk 5.13 and the Cinemaster engine 1.029. Quite frankly, I'm scared to even touch it, because it _is_ working. But, I'd like to talk to other people, and see if we can figure out a common thread here--why it suddenly started working for me, since it did not before.

Here's what I've done recently to the system, in order:

Mystique 8Meg G200 running on P2-400, 128Ram,
    on Bx6 motherboard with AGP set at 1/1
    --------------------------------------------
    Reinst of Win98SE.

Reinst of ATI 3.1 player package, which does install 1.028 engine (I think.) Tried it out, jaggy city--ugh.

Played with Region Selector, but none of the settings seemed to help. Changing resolutions had no effect, changing color depths had no effect.

Install Celeron 366, clock it at 83Mhz X5.5 (458Mhz.) Just for the hell of it, set AGP at 1/1 and force AGP 2X with Powerdesk. To my chagrin, it worked (I don't think I've ever run this card at 2X AGP.)

At some point ATI got screwed up, so I reinstalled the 3.1 package. It acted (during the install) like it was installing the DXMedia components, but I don't know for sure if it did. Before it rebooted I dumped the files for the 1.029 engine into the system dir, and rebooted.

Tried out a DVD, and it isn't jaggy anymore.
    ---

So, as you can see, there are quite a few variables here, and I don't want to toy with many of them because the playback DOES look good

So, anyone who wants to work on this with me lemme know. Drop me email at cswan@connectria.com, or let's discuss it here...I'd like to figure out what exactly I did to get it working, lest it puke on itself again.

DVD software is finiky isn't it. I've had many a problem myself- but have had the best luck with Cinemaster.

Only thing I can think of is perhaps DMA/busmastering wasn't turned on for your drive (if it's IDE) on your previous Windows installation and now it is.

Comment

No, busmastering was turned on in both situations. I'm not sure that Cinemaster will even run if it isn't enabled.

Comment

Yeah, actually it will. I found out recently. I added a new 13 GB UltraATA 66 hard drive to the same (secondary) channel as my DVD drive. My motherboard (based on BX chipset) only support ATA-33. I didn't realize that all 66 hard drives don't gracefully "degrade" to 33MB/s- you need a utility provided by all manufacturers to toggle between the two modes. Anyway, mine was set to 66 when I bought it, and since the mboard didn't support that, it ran in 16 MB/s mode! For some reason, it "took" my DVD drive with it- turning off busmastering/DMA for it too. I had noticed that movies started skipping every once in a while (once every 15 minutes a quick action frame would be missed.) I blamed it on a DVD drive bios update I did around the same time I installed the drive.

Anyway, I noticed last week that DMA was turned off on the DVD and couldn't get it turned back on until I figured out the mess I described above. Got to the bottom of it though!

No more skips.

Comment

Working...
        X