Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blockiness in moving path

Greetings everyone!

I just created a video with a segment using a moving path to simultanously display 4 video clips in 4 352x240 windows in the four corners of the screen. During preview everything looks great. When I output a video file (704x480) the four clips are very blocky.

I tried sizing them down to 352x240 at the AVI file level and then bringing them into the moving path but the problem didn't change.

Any ideas? Or is this a MJPG codec problem and won't go away?

Thanks,

RIchard

------------------
    Abit BH6; 300A@450; 128MB
    FastTrack66 dual KA 18GB; Marvel 200; MX300
    FastTrack66 dual KA 18GB & dual Maxtor 27G 6800; Marvel 200; MX300

I've done the same thing using 352x480 files, and it turned out fine. I put the four clips on separate overlay tracks and placed a moving path on each to locate it in a corner. I even had them change clips and zoom to full screen.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what would cause this problem exactly. I guess what I need to know is, what is the resolution of the original files? Do you have the MJPEG quality set real low? Do the frame rates match?

There's a good chance that you should also check the resampling quality, which is under the second tab in Preferences. Make sure it's set to "Best."

Comment

Hmmmm, yes and yes. The timeline file is configured for 29.97 fps and 704x480 the original files are the same. I've tried them at that resolution and at 352x240 (the size of one quadrant onscreen) and the result is the same- blockiness.

Resembles the effect you see when you try to enlarge a window- areas where there is a lot of action break up.

Thanks for the tips though.

Richard

------------------

Comment

Whaddaya mean "a lot of action break up?"

Comment

Scenes like the carrier launching fighters in Top Gun look like crap. When something moves on the image it gets "chunky". I might try it with still images but I really like the PIP effect.

Waaaaah!

------------------

Comment

Sorry to say, it's beyond me. The only other thing I could think of is that somewhere along the way you're not using MJPEG, 'cuz chunkiness shows up in other codecs. But that's ridiculous.

What about the math? To position a clip, I left the position at center and used the 9x9 grid of green squares to pick a different place for the handle, e.g., for the one in the upper-left corner, I pick the square in the lower-right hand corner. The size, of course, is just 352x240.

(scratch head) Dunno. It was easy for me. I just now did it with another set of files; worked fine, though this time I left the handle at center and positioned at (176,120), (528,120), (176,360), (528,360).

Last check: Record to MJPEG; review file, looks fine by itself; set file props to 704x480, whatever fps; drop each file to separate overlay track; drop 2D Basic Moving Path onto 1st, edit with size at begin&end at 352x240 & position at upper-left; do same for others or just copy->paste attribute; set preview to 352x240, 15 fps, frame-based, and scrub thru; if looks fine, make MJPEG output file with 704x480, whatever fps.

Chances are, if that doesn't work, you've got a hardware/driver issue, and I'm sure the Doc or someone else can help you there.

[This message has been edited by fluggo99 (edited 07 November 1999).]

Comment

Hi,

You might have the data rates set a bit too low in Ulead (if thats what your using)

try setting the data rate to something like 3500kbps in the preview options and see what happens.

Regards,
              Elie

Comment

Guys I shall attempt all you have suggested and post the results!

Again thanks for your help.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                X