New Windows 9x Powerdesk 5.15.022...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Windows 9x Powerdesk 5.15.022...

This new display driver is on Matrox's site right now as a companion for the new beta Rainbow Runner G-Series video tools. However, they specifically say it is for Marvel G200 or Gx00 with RRG users only.

Does anyone know why? Is PD 5.15 beta also? Is there a performance decrease from 5.13 with these drivers?

I have no idea. But I can tell you a couple of things about these drivers. First of all, custom resolutions don't seem to work right off the bat. If you add a resolution, it appears in the resolution list in Monitor Properties, but it won't let you test it. I'll have to play with it a little more to see if I can figure it out.

Also, here is a snippet from the Install.inf file from 5.15:

Str0="Matrox G400 AGP"
    Str1="Matrox MGA-G100 AGP"
    Str2="Matrox MGA-G200 AGP"
    Str3="Matrox Marvel G200 AGP"
    Str4="Matrox Marvel G200 PCI"
    Str5="Matrox Millennium G100 AGP"
    Str6="Matrox Millennium G200 AGP"
    Str7="Matrox Millennium G200 LE AGP"
    Str8="Matrox Millennium G200 SD AGP"
    Str9="Matrox Millennium G200 SD PCI"
    Str10="Matrox Millennium G250 AGP"
    Str11="Matrox Millennium G400"
    Str12="Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head"
    Str13="Matrox Millennium II AGP"
    Str14="Matrox Millennium II PCI"
    Str15="Matrox Millennium PCI"
    Str16="Matrox Mystique G200 AGP"
    Str17="Matrox Mystique G200 Video AGP"
    Str18="Matrox Mystique PCI"
    Str19="Matrox Productiva G100 AGP"
    Str20="Matrox Productiva G100 Multi-Monitor"

It certainly looks like this is a unified driver release. Anyone with a non-G-series card want to give it a try? Don't forget, Matrox warns not to use it unless you have a Marvel or Gx00 with RRG...

------------------
    Mark Veneziano

Supermicro P6DGU; single Intel Pentium III 500 MHz; 256 MB PC100 ECC; AOpen HX08; Matrox Millennium G400 MAX with Rainbow Runner G-Series; ViewSonic P817; Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! with digital and optical I/O; Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000; 3Com 3C905B-TX; LANcity LCPET-2; Epson Stylus Color 1520; 2.88 MB 3.5; 1.2 MB 5.25; Seagate Cheetah 9LP 9.1 GB U2W; Plextor UltraPlex Wide; Yamaha CRW4416S; Hewlett Packard ScanJet 4p; U.S. Robotics Courier V.Everything; Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite; Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro; Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball; Microsoft Sidewinders; Microsoft Win98 SE ACPI enabled.

Mark Veneziano

My mistake, custom resolutions are working ok now. I don't know why it wasn't working before, it was either because I had a few apps open or because I didn't tweak the settings enough between adding the resolution and testing it.

Let's hope Matrox doesn't ever get rid of this feature. Maybe they'll even integrate a nice interface for it into a future version of powerdesk...

Mark Veneziano

Comment

yah...hope they dun remove it..

btw, any performance increase over PD5.13?
      say quake2, quake3?

Comment

Sorry, I'm not much of a hardcore gamer...yet. I'm surprised none of the other forum regulars have posted anything about this release, I figured a lot of people would have jumped on 5.15 and tried it simply because it was a version increase. Maybe over the next few days that will happen and we'll get some benchmarks.

Mark Veneziano

Comment

Hi!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention MarkV! I just downloaded and installed PD5.15.

Here are a few observations I made...

All the files have had their versions updated to 5.15 including the G200 and G400 OGL ICD's.

The display driver files and ICD are exactly the same size as in 5.13. Could it be that nothing has changed in these drivers? Haig?
          They had their versions updated to 2130 from 2110, if you check the information sheet in display properties. What's new? Marvel and RRG support?

Maybe that's why big M did not bother to upload it to the 'latest Mill. drivers' page or ftp place...

Q3test2 gives me the same numbers on a timedemo, but the OGL ICD driver info has been updated. I guess it reads the ICD driver info...duh :-)

I will try to do some Kingpin tests to see if any of the bugs with the textures have been fixed. (I'm not saying this is ICD related, I'm just testing if it is).

Have fun,

Jake

------------------
          ------------------------
          Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive???
          ------------------------

Celeron 266@400, Abit BH6 bios ver. LH, 192MB Samsung GL PC-100, G200 Mill. 8MB SGRAM AGP, 17" Hitachi MVX Value (CM-1786). Quantum 6.4 GB HDD, Plextor 40X SCSI Cd-ROM, Matshita (Panasonic) CD-R CW-7502 SCSI burner. bios 2.3, PD5.
          Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
          ----------------------
          Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Working...
          X