D-sub to BNC conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-sub to BNC conversion

Sorry about the non Matrox topic (well its kinda of related). I am anticipating the arrival of my MAX soon and I would like to convert the D-sub connector on the card to the BNC connectors on my Sony GDM 400PS. Is there a converter cable available and will I still have the power saving functions if I use these connectors?

Just buy a normal BNC cable, it is D-Sub at one end and BNC at the other.

Comment

Andrew:

With my monitor, using BNC disables DDC which allows the monitor and video card to communicate and set up the basic factory presets automatically. Your monitor is probably similar. Some users care about this others don't.

------------------
      P2-450;256MB PC100;Asus P2B;16MB G200 Mystique 5.13,2.3; 12MB CL Voodoo2;CL SB Live Full(LW2.1); ViewSonic 17PS; 10GB Maxtor 7200RPM UDMA2;3.2GB Quantum FB ST UDMA2;CL 2X Encore;USR 5686 External Sportster V.90;Win98;DX6.1;IE5a etc.

P2-450;256MB PC100;Asus P2B (bios 1011);16MB G200 Mystique 5.52,2.6; 12MB CL Voodoo2;CL SB Live Full(LW3.0); ViewSonic 17PS-2; 10GB Maxtor 7200RPM UDMA2;3.2GB Quantum FB ST UDMA2;CL 2X Encore DVD-ROM kit;USR 5686 External Sportster V.90;Win98 SP1;DirectX 7.0a;IE5.01 etc.

Comment

o.k for the DDC thing why not connect it up, sort out the monitor how you want it, and save the file (assuming PD5) and then swap the leads.

As for the quality, it should be theortically much, much better to run each of the signals down different (physically) cables, to reduce the ammount of crosstalk between cable pairs. the fact the you are splitting it out as it comes out of the card is not a problem (i.e. using a converter), as you're seperating the signals as soon as possible.

To get the best possible image quality, you would have to use BNC outputs on the back of the card, which are huge things, and doubtless would not fit out of a normal slot, causeing all sorts of problems, and also, due to the possible number of the things, it would take up more then one slot.

Colin
        You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Actually BNC connectors fit through a slot opening just fine, just ask any 10base2 ethernet card

There should also be enough height for 5 bnc outputs on a standard card. However, considering the marget segment that type of quality output is usually aimed at I rather doubt you will be seeing it on any mainstream video cards.

------------------
          Dean
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
          PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

Does anyone know of a good place and or type of BNC cables? I have a 21" Viewsonic and if I can make it look better that would be great!! Thanks for the info!

Comment

Does the BNC provide better image quality than a d-sub? If so what is the point if you have to buy a converter?

Comment

you could get them direct from viewsonic, or get generic ones from like belkin.com but the ones i like out of all of them are from either monster cable or number nine, who makes the other video cards....expect to pay about 60-75 for good ones....i notice a difference on my g400max with viewsonic p815 21"
                gary greenwald

gg

Comment

NECX has good prices on BNC cables. You can't beat them for nice sharp images at high resolutions.
                  necx.com/

Paul

------------------
                  P3-558(124x4.5), ABIT BX6 r2, 256MB PC100, MILL G400-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW, SCSI ZIP, USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext) WN98
                  and a (Very Messy Desk) ;-P

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                  X