Intrigued & disappointed w/ G100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intrigued & disappointed w/ G100

Because I have been experiencing severe artifacting during internet sessions where I have 25 or so IE4 windows open, I submitted this problem to a forum. A reply I received suggested I replace my 4Mb S3-Virge PCI card. I went out and bought an AGP Productiva G100 with 4Mb. I was surprised that they were being offered with only half the spec memory. When I got the card, there it was, specified "to be sold in Asia and Oceania only" but I had a happy comment that it was probably the only thing in the shop not "made in China".
    I went through a clean install of the 513 drivers, even downloaded directX6 when the diagnostic pointed out that my directX 5 was outdated. Though the colors and contrast were outstanding, I could not believe that a VCD of "Legends of the Fall" which ran smoothly on my S3 Virge, would stall every now and then as if missing a frame or two on the G100. I switched the cards twice to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
    Do you have any comment on this? Do you think this was a defective card? The sharp colors from the G100 are unlike anything I've seen before but the choppy motion is unacceptable.
    My system. Cel 366 (no overclock) on Tomato LX board; 64 Mb PC-100 SDRAM; 125 Mb unfragmented fixed swapfile on C: partition of a Quantum EX 6.4 Gb; Panasonic 32X ROM drive; AOC Spectrum 15" monitor at 24 bit color 75 hz refresh (it also chops at 16 bits); Creative Ensoniq sound card, C-Net internal 56-K modem w/ cirrus logic chip.
    Regards and Thx in advance. This is an interesting forum.

Just out of curiosity, what DVD software are you using, and have you tried it at 32bit?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Hello Gurm,
      I was watching the movie on Active Movie which comes with Win98. And no, I did not try it on 32bit color.
      Thanx for your interest in my predicament.
      Crisp

Comment

G100 card is targeted towards business apps. It has less 3D functions (texturing, alpha) than S3ViRGE, so I am not surprized that some games work slower on G100.
        The card has excellent signal quality and "2D" speed, which should translate to good display of .AVI and similar file.
        However, most of accelerator functions don't work aor are very slow in 24 bit modes. Use 32- or 16-bit modes only.

Comment

Yeah, use 32-bit. It will actually run substantially faster than 24-bit. Also, make sure to upgrade your Media Player with the newest beta from the Windows Update site. That will make active movie run worlds better as well... taking advantage of newer drivers, etc.

- Gurm

The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. I wouldn't have known that 24 bit would actually be slower than 32 bit. I will try this and see for my self. It's always good to have experienced helpers willing to share their knowledge.
            See you later.
            Crisp

Comment

Working...
            X