Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will G400 Max compete with NV10 or Voodoo4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will G400 Max compete with NV10 or Voodoo4?

Hi guys!

I am still waiting for my G400 Max to be shipped. I am in Hong Kong. I wonder when it will arrive in Hong KOng.

At the same time I am hearing that NV10 will be released in October and I had spoken to my friend who works at Creative and he also confirmed that it will release this year and it will be sooner than anyone has expected.
    I have also hearing about Voodoo4.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea how the G400 Max will compete with the next and faster generation cards? Oh! I think I have heard that the NV10 will support S3TC and some form of bump mapping which will be done in hardware.

Regards,
    Manoj Mahtani

No the NV10 will not be released in October.

Elie

[This message has been edited by Elie (edited 07-24-99).]

Comment

When you say "released", you mean hit stores or just beeing sending to OEM manufacts...?
      Are these rumors or real facts???
      Yop

[This message has been edited by Yop (edited 07-24-99).]

Comment

there is always a lot of hype and promise for new product, but I will at the very least wait for the 3dfx vd4 announcement in early August before I spend my 200 now for a new graphic card!

Comment

Hi!

Actually I am not totally sure if they will release on time. Look at the G400 Max. You can never know when they will release. I am only hearing things. But I do know that there will be an announcement from 3DFX regarding the Voodoo4 in August. Also NV10 will be announced next month as well.

My guess is that OEM manufactureres will have the chips by October and then they will hit the stores by end of November. Just in time for Christmas Sale.

But then I want the G400 Max anyway. I want the best in the market. For now G400 Max is the best for sure. BUt then how will G400 Max perform compared to the upcoming NV10 or Voodoo4? Only time will tell when we get the true specs.

Regards,
          Manoj Mahtani

Comment

Let's see...

3dfx has categorically stated that they will NOT be announcing the Voodoo4 in August, but simply making a "technology announcement" that has nothing to do with an actual product. Honest.

nVidia can announce their NV10 all they like but if it still has all the problems the TNT/TNT2/Vanta has then I don't want one.

Let's be sensible here... I don't honestly think 3dfx can deliver a technologically advanced product right now. I welcome them to prove me wrong, but the Voodoo3 is a faster Voodoo1 with more memory. Period. No new effects. No new modes. No better image quality.

The TNT2 looks just like a TNT. Period. It's not new technology.

NEW technology may or may not be announced in August, but considering that a lot of TNT2Ultra units aren't available yet (Hercules on 9/9/99) I'm not holding my breath.

The G400 Max is the fastest, most powerful, most technologically advanced unit available TODAY. Period.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I totally agree with the people who replied to this post before me. NVidia and 3Dfx wont be able to develope new technology before a while. I'm pretty sure that both NV10 and Napalm (or whatever its called) won't even be out before christmas, because 3Dfx has not even released V3 3500 yet. And there's no market for these cards anyway, there won't be any game or processor to use these cards.

Just look at Quake 3, it's the most technology game available these days (well the test version) and you can easily get over 60-70 fps with a TNT2 / V3 (and maybe g400 soon).

I don't know about you guys, but I personnaly change my hardware when I am not able anymore to do things I'd like to do with my actual hardware. If Matrox finally release a STRONG ICD, I'll probably keep this card for a long while (G400 32mb). Even if I'd get a NV10, I wouldn't see the reason to pay $400 (because thats what it would cost anyway) to get 120 fps instead of 70. 70fps is more than enough....

Asus K7M, Athlon 500 (sometimes at 550), G400 32mb DH, SB Live! Value, Optiquest 17" V73, Western Digital Expert 13.6 7200rpm, Datatrain DC154 14", Yamaha 4416s, STB Tv Tuner, TekRam SCSI card, 128MB RAM, Cambrige PCworks 4pt surround, Lexmark 5700, SupraExpress 56k), RealTek ethernet card.

Comment

You get 70 FPS at 1600*1200*32 all details maxed out in q3a ????
                WOW !! ;-)

The NV10 will SMOKE the g400max because this time it is a whole new design/generation and not just a tnt1 on speed/crack !!

But for THIS generation the g400max RULES !

I will get mine next week replacing my tnt2ultra !!
                (and if you wonder : i ordered at the 6th oh June and i live in Vienna , Austria )

Comment

If you dont think G400max smoke any of the V3 or TNT2U now, then the next ge cards from them must be smoking 400max without a hitch, do you think they dare to release something not significantly faster than previous gen in this prevailing 3D card market? The answer is MUST BE YES!!!! G400max so far is a dispoointment blew up in vapour.

Comment

IMHO, NV10 is just hype for now. There is no way they could release it this year, much less in october. And I don´t believe any Nvidia specs before the product has actually been release. Wasn´t TNT supposed to run at 125 Mhz, .25 die size, voodoo2 sli killer?? 90 Mhz, .35 was more like it. Wasn´t TNT2/Ultra supposed to run at 150/175 Mhz? 125/150 was more like it, with some brave manufactures pushing up the limits.

And that transforming and lighting stuff built on chip... Don´t forget it will only acelerate T&l *IF* game uses DirectX T&L routines, wich noone uses at the moment, mainly because it sucks. Every game uses a proprietary T&L, and in most cases much better than the microsoft stuff.

It´s just like the 3dnow! support in DX -it´s built in the transform&lighting routines - the games don´t take full advantage of it because they don´t use those routines...

So that T&L on chip will only work if the game is coded for DX7 and use the DX T&L engine. So don´t expect to plug a NV10 in your PII233 and get like 100 fps in quake2.

Comment

IMHO, NV10 is just hype for now. There is no way they could release it this year, much less in october. And I don´t believe any Nvidia specs before the product has actually been release. Wasn´t TNT supposed to run at 125 Mhz, .25 die size, voodoo2 sli killer?? 90 Mhz, .35 was more like it. Wasn´t TNT2/Ultra supposed to run at 150/175 Mhz? 125/150 was more like it, with some brave manufactures pushing up the limits.

And that transforming and lighting stuff built on chip... Don´t forget it will only acelerate T&l *IF* game uses DirectX T&L routines, wich noone uses at the moment, mainly because it sucks. Every game uses a proprietary T&L, and in most cases much better than the microsoft stuff.

It´s just like the 3dnow! support in DX -it´s built in the transform&lighting routines - the games don´t take full advantage of it because they don´t use those routines...

So that T&L on chip will only work if the game is coded for DX7 and use the DX T&L engine. So don´t expect to plug a NV10 in your PII233 and get like 100 fps in quake2.

Comment

Yea yea yea......

[This message has been edited by LAMFDTK (edited 07-24-99).]

Comment

MY POWERS ARE BEYOND YOUR UNDERSTANDING....MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I heard a rumor the other day that the NV10 (BTW, I am not joking) will have a graphics workstation version that will ship with... 256 MB RAM. Would that mean that we could load Quake 4 into the video RAM and then let the the CPU forget all about the video processes. Oh joy...now all I need is $1000 to buy one.

Jammrock

------------------
                          PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Howdy Jammrock,

That is their secret project. Thier graphic chip is supposed to be incorporated directly into the North Bridge of some motherboard and within the motherboard bios, you will be able to reserve any amount of system ram for the graphic card.

Don't know how true this is.

SwAmPy

Comment

Does, uh, PCChips (and their built on SiS graphics) ring a bell here?

Sorry, had to mention it...

Cheers,

Steve

------------------
                              Yeah, you know the score...
                              (ICQ: 29468849)

Comment

Working...
                              X