G200 probs, drivers maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 probs, drivers maybe?

Hey y'all, I'm a newbie so forgive me if I ask something stupid, I've been looking all over, but have yet to find an answer.

I have a customer who has the G200 AGP 8MB, that we then added the memory expansion to. It ran fine (using a Sceptre D17P monitor) in Win'98, 64MB RAM, Shuttle 661 motherboard, for a while.

Recently though, they've been complaining of graphics problems. I couldn't figure out what they were talking about, so I went to check out what exactly the problem was. They were working in Corel Photopaint (I think that's what it was). The weird thing was that the window containing the file they were working on was fine, but the surrounding area was all garbled. And not just garbled, but like the colorized static yuo'd see on a TV.

Now if I switch to a Standard VGA adaptor, it runs fine. Weird...

So, the next step I figured was updating the drivers. Did that, and it seemed to take care of the problem, at least initially. It came back a few days later.

We couldn't find anything wrong, and couldn't figure it out. So again today I went with the latest drivers, and this time things got WORSE! When I restarted w/the new drivers, any icon that you selected, the picture gets that scrambled thing again. Also, the Start button, as well as the Minimize/Maximize/Close buttons, and the left corner button are also all scrambled. All the other graphics seemed to draw fine...

So I reverted to a different driver, the G200 AGP dated 3-11-99. It got rid of the windows buttons being garbled, but it'll be a day or two till we find out if it cleared up the problems that they have in Corel PhotoPaint.

Anybody got any ideas as to what the problem is, or what I've overlooked? I noticed in a few other peoples messages that they've said the 8MB upgrade can actually make the card start to do strange things....could the memory expansion be the culprit possibly? (I don't know the extent of what this memory expansion problem is, so I might be way off track with this thinking).

Thanks for the help all!

It could possibly a faulty or incorrectly fitted memory upgrade. The easy answer is to remove it and see if the problems persist. Is it the genuine Matrox or a third party upgrade module?

Comment

It's the genuine thing.

But if it weren't correctly installed on the card (physically), wouldn't it report some weird numbers in Windows in the Display Properties section, under Settings, Advanced, Adaptor, where it shows how much memory the adaptor has? I'd be inclined to assume it would either report 8MB, or something random, like 348MB...just a thought though.

I'll try removing the memory tomorrow, got any other ideas that I should give a whirl while I'm out there?

Oh, and thanks for the reply! :-)

Comment

You may also want to upgrade the bios on the card, good luck
        jim

------------------
        P2-350 o/c 450, BH-6 mobo,128mb pc-100,Mill. G-200 8mb o/c to 215 with g200clk, win98,dx6.1,PD5.13, bios 2.3
        THREE BIG FANS (and three little ones)

System 1:
        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
        Epox 8K7A
        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
        SBLIVE 5.1
        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
        3Com Hardware Modem
        Teac 20/10/40 burner
        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment