Overclocking CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking CPU

I'm thinking about overclocking my system and would like to hear about other people's experiences with overclocking, especially those with a similar system to mine. For example any information on how high you were able to overclock and how much of a difference it made in frame rates of games such as Unreal Half-Life and Quake II.

Ah crap...posted in the wrong forum again...I seem to have a gift

------------------
    Pentium II 350
    Asus P2B Rev. 1008
    64 MB CAS3 8ns SDRAM
    Seagate Medalist Pro 6530
    Matrox Millenium G200
    PCI 128 Sound Card (Creative Labs)
    32x Artec CD-ROM
    SMC EtherPower II network card

[This message has been edited by JonVS31 (edited 07-27-99).]

Hi there,

thanks to a thread here I found out that on some (probably all) PII 350 MHz processors you can disable the multiplier lock by taping pin B21.

Though I'm more a software person and much less interested in how to install hardware I tried it, and hey, I now have a fully functional PII 450 MHz.

You can find a complete discription of that pin B21 trick over at www.tomshardware.com. There it is used to overclock the FSB from 66 to 100 MHz, but on a PII 350 it seems to unlock the multiplier. Now it's up to you to find out how to change the multiplier.

Better to use the multiplier instead of the FSB since not all hardware will work with a higher FSB (Front Side Bus BTW). For me my intel 740 video card didn't like the FSB going from 100 to 112. So the multiplier was my only luck. Unlucky it was multiplier locked. Lucky for me that B21 trick worked.

In Quake II my demo1 scores went up from 78 to 83. Not that much, but my Crusher scores have went up much more. Don't know the numbers anymore.

Try it, and let me know wheter it has worked.

Greetings
    Frank Schoondermark

Comment

PS: I have:

Pentium II 350 MHz (now 450 MHz)
      128 MB internal memory.
      Voodoo2 8 MB clocked at 95 MHz.
      Windows 98.

Comment

Working...
      X